Hitting the Wall w Krung Thai Bank

gawguy

A month or two ago I posted asking recommendations for Thai banks, except for BKK Bank where I already have an account.

I want to move money from there into another Thai bank to "diversify" for safety.

I got a strong recommendation for Krung Thai bank and yesterday, having just arrived in Pattaya, I scooted to the main branch all bright-eyed and ready to open an account w 100,000 baht. I use a couple of banks in Pattaya to break bills, and my general experience w Krung Thai has been that they are the least friendly and most ready to say "no have!" But since the member recommendation was strong, and Krung Thai is BIG and I hope safe from collapse, I went in ready to do business.

First thing I was told was "No interest for you. One year retirement visa - cannot interest." Well that's not too important since it's just one percent or so. So I said, "Okay." As she filled out some paper work I said, "I need two ATM cards." She said, "Cannot! One man, one ATM card." I said, "Too many problems here. I go now."

Perhaps my BKK bank is unusual in these regards, I don't know. But I get interest and I have two ATM cards.

So I am still looking for a bank that is (1) Safe (2) Provides what I want.

A bank that has been very friendly has been Kasikorn (Formerly Thai Farmers Bank). Does anyone know about them?

Or if you really have a bank you like besides BKK or Krung Thai, please let me know.

Thanks very much,

Gaw Guy

I have a Kasikorn Thai account. No problems with them. However, they did ask to see my work permit when I got it. Not sure how they'd react to someone on a retirement visa. Bankers really have their head up their arse, since the Bank of Thailand cancelled the WP requirement within of year of coming up with the stupid idea. (The govmt was trying to get people to retire here ... and then the Bank of Thailand got the brilliant idea of not letting them retire here unless they decided to work here. :confused: )

p.s. I've never asked about duplicate ATM cards. No idea what they'd say to that, though I suspect I know. :(

I'm with Kasikorn and they're not bad although I've never asked for two ATMs. My only gripe is trying to transfer where my account is held to another branch. I imagine it's the same with all the Thai banks, but I made the mistake of opening my account with a branch that was close to where I was working at the time and not near my home which is quite a distance away. I've found that when I've needed certain things doing (sometimes just rubber stamping a document) my local branch wouldn't do it but have told me I must go to the branch where the account is held. This can be very awkward.

I suppose the only thing to do is to close the old account and open a new one, but then I'll probably have to re-apply for their internet banking as well.

I like SCB. It was a slight hassle to open the account without a workpermit as the clerk didn't want to do it. But the manager overrided her and said no problem, just give prove of address (either rental contract or utility bill with my name on it, I had both) and then they could open it. Do not know about 2 ATM cards though. But smooth sailing since then.

Waerth

Split your money in half and open two bank accounts. One ATM from each.

I have 3 ATM cards from 3 different banks. Plus a couple of credit cards tied directly into my banks accounts.

Getting money from a bank account is not the problem. It's putting money into the banks accounts - is the problem.

Getting money from a bank account is not the problem. It's putting money into the banks accounts - is the problem.

That comment suprises me, I have no problem with inter bank transfers (BBL, K-Bank, SCB) or with foreign transactions to BBL using SWIFT.

Back to the OP give K-Bank a try!

Archived