HOW MUCH HAVE YOU LOST?

frede

Yes, it is for the long haul. And things will turn around. Everyone's question is 'when?'.

Empathy.

I have an old girlfriend who has 4 college/nearing college kids (no, not mine) and she has done well and put aside enough funds to pay for college for all 4 children. A dedicated college fund.

She has always had a 'professional' adivsor (paid).

Well, recently, she has had to tell the 4 kids that, with this fund currently, she can only pay for one or two years of college each.

She, nor most of us, saw this coming.

Her fund may recover - but she needs the college money now.

And then there is the older people who were counting on this for retirement.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The investment professionals love to quote the old adage " its time in the market that counts,not timing the market ".....some people are beginning to wonder if stocks really are a good long term bet....if you look at the FT 100,putting money in a the peak of the Dotcom boom youd still be waiting to get your money back after 8 yrs...plus the Japanese markets have never recovered from their peaks...

• 1 month later...

Got lucky and sold everything in GBP and property in July. Moved it all to THB and SGD so I made on FX movements.

Have given about 90% away since then and spent some. Couldn't be bothered when I didn't have to do something. I realised I'd rather think about money than have more than enough. Feel better for it all around.

My Superannuation balance has dropped about AUD 20K. Given that the Pacific Peso seems to be headed for parity with Iraqi Dinar, thats not a lot of money at all. :clown:

Still find it hilarious that Thailand, a country on the brink of political collapse on any given day, has a 'stronger' currency than countries with strong political and economic fundamentals. Is it deja vu all over again, with a currency that isnt backed by the reality of the economy beneath it ?

• 9 months later...

Update on an old thread.

11 months down the line I am finally getting paid 22.1 pence in the pound, wow yipee, I get 22.1% of my deposits and supposed to be happy. Wankers!

Thai company folded due to lack of funds and I am back in the Middle East working for a coin again, I am fortunate enough that companies still want to pay for my skills, I dont like it but it has to be done.

Fux banks, gold bars in the safe is how I bank now, goverments may shut down banks but no fucking goverment is going to get its hands on my hard erned again.

Archived