The Gravey Train

bust

I read the article as being about the enthusiasm of NGO's to help while they are getting paid in $US but their reluctance to part with them to help the people they claim they are there to assist.

Not sure if you have been to Burma but if you have you will be aware of the strong desire for the $US as apposed to the local Kyat.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Not sure if you have been to Burma but if you have you will be aware of the strong desire for the $US as apposed to the local Kyat."

This is some Bust certified assertion... many times in Burma I see foreigners or myself trying to close deals in USD but the local parties involved convert it in Kyat in their accounting. That the amount of Kyat they will get from their customer's USD is more than if this same customer had paid in Kyat directly is more the issue IMO.

Besides I can't say I'm very impressed by the quoted article...

Try and keep in the context of the post.

Small street vendors are always keen to be paid in $US......maybe it's different when doing large business deals like yourself. That's not a side of Burma I am familiar with. :smirk:

"Small street vendors are always keen to be paid in $US"

OK busted boy, so now, why are they keen on getting USD ? would that be because "the amount of Kyat they will get from their customer's USD is more than if this same customer had paid in Kyat directly"

You can smirk as much as you want you you failed to show why I was out of context. There is a very little spread between buying and selling USD in Burma's very accessible currency exchange black market (around 10kyat spread or 0.008USD), the small street vendors you understand and relate to so deeply will have no problem buying USD with their hard earned Kyat if they crave those USD so much and you are as generous in local currency as you are in foreign hard currency.

In the article you quoted , not that I ever been a to a burmese barber, 10USD is about 5000kts, most probably way more than the same barber could charge local customers and more simply a rip off. You don't need to do serious business in Burma nor dig up bloated bodies in the delta to understand that much...I had thought so until I came across your ever so enlightened writing...

OK smart boy, so now, why are they keen on getting USD ? would that be because "the amount of Kyat they will get from their customer's USD is more than if this same customer had paid in Kyat directly"

No.....it would be beacause the Kyat doesn't get you very far across the border.... :grin:

Ohh boy... do you understand what a 1% spread is ?

USD is plentiful at least in Yangon,and probably elsewhere, what people care is getting an extra margin superior to that 1% spread when they sell their goods in USD. Besides it's easy to transfer both Kts and USD across the borders thanks to a well working underground banking system in Burma.

Archived