Is the downturn affecting your town ?

gobbledonk

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back to the topic, but I think it will take a few months until the recession will become visible, because the trickle down effect which will some time to become visible.

It had just began that deals are being postponed (like in our company) or just won't happen. Car sales in free fall, the first job losses are reported and so on.

In a few months we will see the first closed shops, a change in advertising, a change of the topics in the media like how to spend less for a nice dinner, where to have cheap holiday e.g.,...

When I lived in Japan shortly after the burst of the economic bubble I could see and feel the depression which had set in economically and mentally.

Agreed, Kamui. When the dot com bubble burst, we lost a big client and everyone knew it was a tipping point, but most of us went into a sort of denial. It was only when they came out and told us that the company was losing 2 million a month that the reality hit home, and 40 of us were gone within a week. I volunteered to take the payout, but some werent so lucky and 'Black Friday' was followed by 'Blacker Monday', when people who thought they still had a job were called into an office and handed an envelope : stories of female colleagues bursting into tears when the phone rang (and some of the guys getting really angry)were commonplace, but at least they had the guts to tell them face-to-face. One of the more spectacular dot bomb failures simply left messages on staff members phones informing them that they had 15 minutes to pack their belongings and leave the building : imagine coming back from lunch and finding Security with the contents of your desk and a letter ...

For those of us who manage to hang onto our jobs, and thats a crapshoot at best, consider this : what do you think the unemployed masses are going to be doing when we go to work ? As a former colleague once said to me about his time in LA in the 80s, 'There is no way you could survive on minimum wage - I knew those guys had to be dealing or stealing to work for the money we were paying them'. He was earning USD 25K and considered himself fortunate - what they were being paid boggles the mind.

As the construction bubble already burst some months ago here I am witnessing a crisis going on.

(plus next year the consequences of the economical crisis)

Spanish are already underpaid compared to equivalent salaries in other EU countries (which is not really of consequences except when they live and work in a city as expensive as Madrid or Barcelona).

The companies keep on firing people and they lower the salaries offered to new employees.

To give you an idea, I know several young uni graduates here and they are all offered (no matter in which field they work) salaries between 12k-16k euros gross per year....

There is a social security office near my flat and every day it seems the queue (for the unemployed section) is longer.

People go shopping at the cheapest possible shops etc...

Still, the Spanish don't loose their bad habits, smoking a lot, going to tapas bars etc...even when the vast majority can't afford it.

This said, the only positive point is the Spanish banking sector is probably the strongest in Europe at the moment as the Spanish central bank

(a long time ago) prohibited the banks to invest in risky funds....

Are people even going to work in BKK nowadays ? It feels like dead. Called two friends yesterday to visit them in their office and they didn't bother going. My lazy secretary thought she could emulate her employer and sent me a sms at 9.30am saying she didn't feel well and wouldn't come to office today. Waking me up as well. Called her back straightaway to get her fat ass to work. Which she did while I went back to sleep. Still the situation doesn't look so good in BKK. How do you say chapter 11 in Thai?

Today I went to a Melbourne Cup lunch at a new re-development site in Sydney's CBD.

An existing office building being converted into 87 new apartments starting at $5.5M

47 sold and construction hasn't even begun.

Today I went to a Melbourne Cup lunch at a new re-development site in Sydney's CBD.

An existing office building being converted into 87 new apartments starting at $5.5M

47 sold and construction hasn't even begun.

The SOP in Thailand would be for the firm to file for bankruptcy at this stage.

Archived