Do Thais die from heat?

eee

Once had to spend a day at the x`s place near Khon Kaen.....usual sort of barn nork place built of concrete blocks with a corrugated metal roof.....temp. mid pm. got up to 45 F.....that was definately my limit....found it difficult to think straight and resorted to sitting in the tank full of water in the hong nam :confused: ........On a different note.the coldest night I`ve ever spent was in a tent up at Khao Yai park near Korat....only one thin blanket provided.....

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I keep the air con at 28 C and it is comfortable for sleeping. If it dips to 26 or 27 C, I notice the change and feel cold...but I go all day without A/C and use the A/C only at night for sleeping or if I am working in my bedroom/office.

Yes, even coming from a very cold (-30 C, winter lows) and windy Chicago, one gets used to the hot and humid Thai weather.

Well there is heat stroke and heat exhaustion.

Fluid intake plays a pivotal part of the equation.

Age certainly plays a part. Exercise/physical fitness plays a part.

Those that don't perspire profusely probably don't comprehend.

Having lived in SE Asia for a time, I can say that ones body does adjust. To what degree depends.

We I spent a lovely nine months in Bahrain, it did get warm in the summer, especially since I was working to get the ship back in operation and there was no air con down in the engine room!

We measured temps of 55 C+

Very, very hot and we were drinking at least 1 liter of water an hour...and sweating it out just as fast!

Like they say, if you are'nt pissin', you're not drinking enough water!

Guest lazyphil

i climbed the grand canyon in one day. 18 mile route from top to bottom. late august 45c heat, i didn't piss once climbing out with zero water or food and blistering heels--didn't plan things as best as i could :crazy: but i did it :content: , even though i nearly died and couldn't move properly for several days after!

• 2 weeks later...

The outdoor workers I know are construction workers. Thai ones have been known get heat exhaustion if they donâ??t drink enough liquids, just like construction workers all over the world who work in the heat. When it starts getting close to 40 C. or so, we get a couple cases a week at our sites.

TH

Archived