Ryanair to start transatlantic flights within a year; economy 10 euros

dean

Ryanair is to anounce today that it will start to buy up planes that other airlines no longer want (presumably at a deep discount) and offer transatlantic flights from Dublin by the end of next year to several U.S. cities. There will be deep discounts in economy tickets (I wonder what the taxes will be on a 10 euro ticket) but business class tickets will be about the same price as other airlines. If it really get off, I'd be willing, for a 10 euro ticket, to sit like a sardine for 7 hours and forgo their $20 cokes and $40 beers.

There are other reasons why an airline would want to get rid of its airplanes, other than its airworthyness. I've never heard of any mechanical problems with Ryanair planes but I haven't been looking, either. I still think that I'd be more concerned with all the extras that Ryaniar will charge (food, baggage, etc.) and what airports it will use in the U.S. (if its anything like the airports that they use in Europe, half will be regional airports) rather than how they maintain planes. I'd be interested in a poll of Tha360 members, on whether they choose flights because of price, because their employeer is paying for the ticket (first class ot budd.), because of the flight attendants or because of the flights directness to their destination (or other reason). I really doubt if very many check the airline's recent maintenance records to see how the fleet has been serviced.

Buying/selling "old" planes is a common practice for many airlines and not necessarily the "smallest ones".

I have to fly a lot with ryanair (company does not wish to pay more) to Ireland, Germany, Denmark or Belgium.

When a flight is 2-3 hours I don't care if it is ryanair or another airline.

Of course, it would be out of question for me to travel on a long haul flight in cattle class with ryanair...

About mechanical problems? They have some from time to time (like most other airlines) and their pilots suck -> always had botched landings with them...

About the seats for intra European flights?

They are not bad at all, of course this is cattle class but if I compare my last flight with ryanair

(MDD-BXL) with my last flight to Dublin (spanair) and the one to Copenhagen (SAS)?

Spanair the worst: Never had a seat so cramped (and some board members know I am not tall nor fat), then SAs, best seats were ryanair (and as I arrived last as usual in the cabin -> I was able to find a full row for myself...)

If I had to choose between a 2K-3k euros flight in business to the US and if I was going with my girlfriend (thus costs multiplied by 2) then I would maybe choose cattle class ryanair for a reason of cost...or would try to find a good deal on business extra/premium.

[color:blue]Underpinning Mr O'Leary's plans is the belief that the aviation industry is entering a recession which could lead to only four carriers surviving: Ryanair, Lufthansa, Air France KLM and British Airways.

In all more than two dozen airlines have failed this year, thanks to a combination of soaring oil prices and an economic downturn.

"We need a recession. We have had 10 years of growth. A recession

gets rid of crappy loss-making airlines and it means we can buy aircraft more cheaply."

The recession would be "dark and deep", Mr O'Leary said, adding that he expected it to last for 18 months.[/color]

:yikes:Link

Archived