Ryanair to start transatlantic flights within a year; economy 10 euros

dean

I will add a little more to that last comment, the 2 most dangerous phases of flight are take off and landing in which the landing gear plays a major part.

It is probable that a Birdstrike can cause damage to the Hydraulic Systems that actuate the landing gear, but even basic design safety would be that on such damage the landing gear would "Fail Safe" which is to say that upon any loss of motive force there is a controlled shutdown. I know I am applying concepts from Oil n Gas Industry but surely the basic principles of IEC 61508 and IEC 61511 should apply to the transportation industry.

In retrospect landing gear with hydraulic retraction and a spring return to the safe (landing) position is so obvious. Sorry I make my living out of functional safety and IMHO events such as this could have been avoided.

Never heard of it either, however birds do fly low, so gear down is the only time it's gonna happen. I really have no fuckin' idea, though. :dunno:

Leave it for the pilots on the board (or google experts)...

PS. You answered your own question faster than I could. I was interrupted as I had to make tea for my dad. Sad state of affairs here. :(

Nice summary mekong and physic laws don't suddendly change if you switch from the oil industry to the aviation sector...

My take on this (having witnessed in real time a few crash and having had the pain to take part in the following enquiries):

Bird strike can explain the turbine being taken out.

About the landing gear: It all depends how the plane landed (in at least 2 cases I saw the landing gear failed due to excessive landing speed and a subsequent incorrect approach and landing -> which simply put too much strain on the hydraulic system which gave up...

This said, I suspect that this played a role in this crash but also the maintenance was not optimal...

The enquiry and crash experts will speak.

at 200 ft on short final at (100752LT nov) CIO a multple bird hit occurred on a RYR flight from Frankfurt Hahn to Rome Ciampino.

More than 200 birdhits were counted (afterwards)

Engine nr 1 stopped (no power)

TOGA initated by PF, captain took over and after (0,020sec) engine nr 2 stopped

Put him down on the runway (a bit hard as you can see)

However NO CASUALTIES at landing (7 persons were taken into hospital due to neck complaints)

Seems plane lost power on both engines during landing, no suprise was hard landing damaging landing gear.

Capitan did his job landing his plane in such conditions, he should be congratulated.

Landed one day at Dubai with B747/200F (cargo) and Capitan thought an engine "absorbed" a bird.

New crew went to inspect engines, did not see any damage but Capitan decided to test engines at remote spot before take off. Just did his job.

Archived