Question: True adsl in BKK?

rookie

I've tried to help a friend in BKK set up his system for torrents. He has True adsl (3072/2048)...and it is CRAP! Often speeds are not much better than a dial-up! Especially international connections.

I'm in Pattaya and have TT&T's Maxnet and get great U/D speeds 24/7, using their least expensive 'Premier' package (1160-Bt/mo).

Is TT&T available in BKK (specifically Bang Sue area)or does True offer different adsl connections which would provide reliable and consistent U/D speeds?? I looked at True's net site, but it's all in Thai and of no help to me.

thx for any assistance...

Sorry but I have to disagree about your general appreciation of True adsl.

My girlfriend had it installed in her new condo and it works just fine.

Her sister uses it on the computer while my girlfriend can use her laptop.

Works perfectly fine.

This said, you mention torrents so it might well be either the true connection failing or a bad configuration of the torrent application?

(I use bittorrent a lot myself)

I don't know about how true affects torrent (my girlfriend doesn't use torrent).

I was commenting on the quality of true adsl in itself then a mention about the possible reasons why true doesn't go well with torrent.

(as back here I use torrent a lot)

As you say that true blocks torrent then this is of course the explanation...

Sorry for the misunderstanding

:beer:

Hi,

I use True and download a lot with torrents. Not uncommon I get the full 100Kbyte/sec download.

One suggestion I can offer is to use a different port than the standard one, just any port in the 40,000-50,000 range. And of course make sure your firewall allows your torrent program to use the port.

Sanuk!

.....Hi,I use True and download a lot with torrents. Not uncommon I get the full 100Kbyte/sec download.

One suggestion I can offer is to use a different port than the standard one....and make sure your firewall allows your torrent program to use the port. Sanuk!

Hmmm...you get 100kBs d/l's?? Not very impressive and kind of confirms what I've read on various forums about the poor service True provides. My TT&T 'Maxnet' service (mentioned first post) is just 2048/1024 (1160-Bt/mo) and I regularly get 200kBs/100kBs U/D speeds...and sometimes even slightly faster!

On my friend's there was not a prob w/ the firewall nor the ports utilized (I also tried different ports). I was able to connect to various torrent sites and files on each. D/L speed was minimal at best....in short they sucked!

I wonder, though...TT&T offers different Net connection packages (page down to view the offerings): http://www.maxnet.co.th/product_adsl.php

With their 'Indy' package speeds, users share a connection with 20 or more people....and it is often _very_ slow during afternoons and evenings when Net use is heavier. I had an 'Indy' connection (3072/2048 and 790-Bt/mo) and it was horrible, so I upgraded to their 'Premier' offering 2-years ago and got their basic 2048/1024. In their 'Premier' package offers, users share a connection with 10 or less people. With 'Premier' I get consistently good connection speeds and there is no capping of speeds when d/l'ing torrents.

...Does True offer similar upgrade option packages???

Hi,

"Hmmm...you get 100kBs d/l's?? Not very impressive"

Uh.. that is my 1Mbit connection totally maxed out.

1Mbit is roughly 128Kbyte, but due to overhead and such you'll never get that. I can get up to 105Kbyte/sec, which I think is very good for a 1Mbit line.

On your friend's connection he should be getting up to ~300Kbyte/sec.

Sanuk!

Archived