Finding a job in Thailand???

I've visited Thailand half a dozen times the past five years, travelled around the Kingdom extensively and have been staying in Bangkok for quite some time now. Have decided I want to 'avoid' going back to Europe; want to stay in Thailand. Now, can't live off my savings forever frown.gif" border="0 so I have started thinking about what I could do to support myself while living in Thailand. Don't intend to get rich, just want to make enough to rent a flat somewhere in Bangkok (not central BKK obviously, Suk80+ would be OK) and afford a month or two of South-East Asia travelling a year. I'm not greedy.

Can anyone give me some ideas as to what I could do in Thailand? I'm a computer programmer by education, about five years experience coding administrative applications (unfortunately no Internet stuff). I speak English fluently. I'm not a native English speaker but I can easily pass for one. I've never worked as an English teacher (let's say, just 'conversational English', I've forgotten all the English grammar I learnt in school ages ago) and I'm a bit hesitant to do so (it's not really 'my thing' but I could give it a try if I really needed the cash). Anyone have any ideas what else I could do?? Thank you very much; appreciate all replies.

To get a job as a programmer in LOS is no problem. The problem is making any money out of it frown.gif" border="0 You would make more as an English teacher shocked.gif" border="0

You can probably make more in one year as a freelance programmer in the US or Europe than you could in 10 here.

Work a couple more years and then retire wink.gif" border="0

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Snake Head:

To get a job as a programmer in LOS is no problem. The problem is making any money out of it
frown.gif" border="0
You would make more as an English teacher

Hi snake,

A little surprised by this reply. Writing code will easily fetch 30-40,000 Baht a month to my knowledge. Being a local that is.

From what I understand, most English teachers are pretty much in the same bracket.

Cheers

For a pretty comprehensive survey of IT salaries, check out: w-Thailand IT Salary Survey

Having done some hiring in LOS I can say the areas I'm familiar with seem to be a pretty accurate reflection. The hard part seems to be finding companies not looking for Thai nationals to employ. Having to get a work permit necessitates paperwork.

A lot of schools in Thailand are pumping out IT graduates and they are available cheap. As a manager, I'm not sure I can say a lot of good things about most of the Thais I've come across. Some are reasonably good technically but not assertive. They won't stand up for their own designs because it is to confrontational. They also aren't into telling the boss bad news which can hide problems early, when they are easiest to correct. For my money, I rather pay a farang a little more to get a higher level of western style professionalism, whatever that is.

I don't mean this post to slam the Thais. They certainly are hard-working, dedicated and loyal. However these aren't always the best personality traits to bring to bear on problem-solving.

quote:

Originally posted by rictic:

Originally posted by Old hippie:

[qb]Know of any jobs for burned out aircraft mechanics...?

Avionics or A+P, Licensed or unlicensed, Fixed wing or rotary?[/QB]

I have an A&P license, have worked engine overhaul, some general overhaul, hmv's, c-checks, line, and a little sheet metel. I do have the FCC license to work Avionics, but no experience. I have worked DC-10, 747, 737, MD-80 757, 767 and a little Airbus. I'd love a job in LOS! I may outta my gig here in a few months, the company is playing hardball with the contract negotiations.

If you have any leads or info, drop me a PM! Thanks!

[ November 21, 2001: Message edited by: Old hippie ]

Archived