Thousands stranded at Suvarnabhumi

Mentors

:topic:

Been 1 year and 5-6 months since I am stranded in Europe, Spain being the place where the weather is the best in the damn area I intend to stay there until finding another job in Asia. (and it allows me to make money to save).

I love the food here but the problem is when I want to eat something else than fabada, cocido etc...

when I am bored of the crap Spanish beers, sidra asturiana is boring after some time too.

And finding decent foreign food is a pain in a city as full of foreigners and especially foreign expats.

I admit it could be worse, I could be in Lesotho.

:beer:

This is why I wish Thailand does not become another lost country for years because I want to go back there...of course the primary reason is my girlfriend, all my friends are there too

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stranded Muslim pilgrims seen crying inside Bangkok airport

Many aged Muslims, who have been left stranded inside the Suvarnabhumi International Airport, were seen Friday morning crying.

They apparently lost hope that they would be able to travel to attend the Hajj in Mecca in time.

Many were seen sitting absent-minded with tears running down their cheeks.

Some came outside the passengers terminal to sit under the sun, apparently because they were not used to the cool weather inside the building.

About 450 Muslim pilgrims were left stranded after Iran Air cancelled its flight to pick them up for Hajj following the besieging of the airport by the People's Alliance for Democracy.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/read.php?newsid=30089681

PAD cannot find new friends...

THAI needs 4-5 days to send stranded passengers home

(BangkokPost.com) - Thai Airways International Plc expects to need 4-5 days to send all stranded foreigners home.

Acting THAI president Narongsak Sangapong said there were around 6,000 leftover international passengers by Friday, and the airline has arranged lodging for the stranded passengers. A number of passengers have already been sent home from Utapao international airport, and 6-7 flights were to carry some 1,500 passengers home Friday.

Air Marshal Narongsak admitted Thai Airways could only cover lodging expenses for First and Business Class passengers and Economy Class passengers may have to cover the lodging cost themselves, but the Tourism Authority of Thailand was working to support these expenses for the foreigners.

The airline was also trying to coordinate with leaders of the protest group holding the airport to allow 420 Thai Muslims to travel to Mecca for the Haj, said Air Marshal Narongsak. The group had been stranded for 4 days and Saudi Arabia was due to close entry into the country by the end of November.

BANGKOK POST

Air Marshal Narongsak admitted Thai Airways could only cover lodging expenses for First and Business Class passengers and Economy Class passengers may have to cover the lodging cost themselves,

The Air Marshal shows a clean , reasonable and constructive concept within the chaos . Though he might be advised to include Business Class into the group of self-payers , why the discrimination ?

yes very constructive action by TG in these almost impossible conditions.

Actually managing to operate several flights from utapau airport & thus getting some lucky passengers away from the chaos is almost beyond belief, but I say well done while other members were laughing away at this suggestive news piece some hours back :rolleyes: ah well a bit of good news at last :)

for your info as a a balance against the compensation offered to only first/biz passengers I have been told directly by affected TG staff that pilots & other staff unable to 'work' these days are NOT being compensated at all simply loosing their daily wages day by day & for pilots that's not pocket change far from it :(

I think TG is going to have problems later as they don't respect the Warzaw convention...even cattle class are entitled to compensation.

This is revolting that TG employees will loose their salaries but not suprising, I already said when the airport got blocked that it was likely that Thai employees (shops, airlines etc...) will loose their salaries....

worldfun: I agree with you but the problem is, although the convention lasts many cases when people can't get refunds in case of wars, about compensation when a traveller misses a flight due to a case of "civilian unrest" is not clear....

What I meant is TG could well have problems because the notion of "civilian unrest" is not a "state of civil war" and anyway lawyers can debate this at court.

Whatever, I am not in the case so I don't care about that and if I was there I wouldn't care about that either and would try to enjoy the time I am stranded there as I could do nothing else anyway...

:beer:

Archived