1 in 5 young Americans has personality disorder

Steve

Guest lazyphil

thinks he is lol!... but anyway, that aside, its better to have a personality disorder than no personality at all which could apply to chunks of the populations certain dull nations i dont care to mention here :smirk:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This study brings up the question that either the young people today are suffering things we didn't as kids for various reasons (society is more violent, exposed to things we didn't, additives, etc. in foods, etc.) or they are just as 'normal' as we were but we live in a society that over medicates and we see medical issues for things that are just part of life as a young adult.

People do have disabilities. That's a fact.

And all should be respectful of those that do.

But . . . In another life, I was a public school teacher in a good sized school. At the beginning of the school year, the 'office' would send out the secret 'medical' list. All the students with 'conditions' were listed.

Every year it was more than 50% of kids had some sort of 'condition'.

The list even stated the actual diagnosis. Amazingly, some had 'undiagnosed' mental conditions. Whatever that means.

Unit731 briefly, undiagnosed can often mean that they don't have a "condition", but probably exhibit some odd or anti-social behaviour. Many kids are emotionally messed up, but not mentally ill or suffering a a mental health condition. Over labeling is a problem. As with all lines of work, there's good and bad in the mental health profession. I had many run-ins with psychiatrists, disputing their diagnosis and giving of medication. I was usually right, but how could I, a mere psychologist, ever understand the depths of their knowledge? Easily. I was proven to be correct. As a result I soon became wary of experts.

This study brings up the question that either the young people today are suffering things we didn't as kids for various reasons (society is more violent, exposed to things we didn't, additives, etc. in foods, etc.) or they are just as 'normal' as we were but we live in a society that over medicates and we see medical issues for things that are just part of life as a young adult.

I think it's a combination of both.

My grade school had kids that I was convinced were future murderers but that can be attributed to the environment and home life they had. Urban kids with issues is not uncommon or a surprise. Surburban kids. Kids who grew up in what would be called idyllic would be the ones I would question as to why they had disorders.

A lot of teen angst has been part of middle class kids for generations. Bobby soxers, 50s kids in leather jackets and James Dean look, hippies, punk rockers, metal heads, etc. 99% grow out of that phase as its classic teenage rebellion and they become bankers, accountants, housewives, etc.

Archived