1 in 5 young Americans has personality disorder

Steve

I've heard Brit friends say similar things about British kids having similar issues. I think

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28002991/

Almost one in five young American adults has a personality disorder that interferes with everyday life, and even more abuse alcohol or drugs, researchers reported Monday in the most extensive study of its kind.

The disorders include problems such as obsessive or compulsive tendencies and anti-social behavior that can sometimes lead to violence. The study also found that fewer than 25 percent of college-aged Americans with mental problems get treatment...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've heard Brit friends say similar things about British kids having similar issues. I think

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28002991/

Almost one in five young American adults has a personality disorder that interferes with everyday life, and even more abuse alcohol or drugs, researchers reported Monday in the most extensive study of its kind.

The disorders include problems such as obsessive or compulsive tendencies and anti-social behavior that can sometimes lead to violence. The study also found that fewer than 25 percent of college-aged Americans with mental problems get treatment...

The same is true for 4 out of 4 on this board, so what is the point? Personality disorders (which in many cases is just people not following the rules society sets forth) are pretty much common place now a days...and we need to just treaty everyone, and show compassion right? What ever happened to the old days, when we told a guy with a "personality disorder" he was an asshole, and to knock it off...?

mental problems are common on college campuses and elsewhere....

....nearly half of young people surveyed have some sort of psychiatric condition...

Personality disorders were the second most common problem

Doesn't this mean that these people are all normal?

I wonder if the results could be biased at all?

The study was funded with grants from the National Institutes of Health, the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention and the New York Psychiatric Institute.

Steve and everyone -interesting stuff. I wonder if you might be interested in this article which deals with 'Over-parenting' (we used to say 'spoiling') and the enormous pressures that some children are subjected to from the very earliest ages.

I see this all the time here in Thailand (extra-curricular activities to the extent that I wonder if children ever get the time to be children) but it gave me food for thought in perhaps explaining young Western adults who...

"are snotty little brats filled with â??anger at such abstract enemies as The System,â? and intellectual lightweights, certain (because their parents told them so) that their every thought is of great consequence."

New Yorker Book Review: The Child Trap. The rise of over-parenting.

A few years ago, I had a job were in, Uni kids would come and work on the weekend. Specifically kids from the California Maritime academy. I never met a more spoiled bunch of punk brats in all my years. The sense of entitlement they had was unbelievable. They all drove nice cars, had tons of cash, and wasted no time in telling any and all around them, the older full time workers that we were all stupid and didn't know shit, they knew it all. And I mean in almost those exact words! But hey, the world owed them...I of course blame the parents.

Archived