1 in 5 young Americans has personality disorder

Steve

Personality disorders aren't treatable (that's the official shrink line) and are associated with undesirable character traits, such as obsessive compulsive behaviours or tendencies towards violence. People function with personality disorders, but are weird/odd and can be nasty....

Psychiatric disorders cripple the individual and often mean a person is unable to function without meds. They are 2 different things.

Ok, that's the shrinkdom bullshit. Personally I'm of the opinion some personality disorders are treatable and some people who are labeled with having one, shouldn't be. There's a lot of "looking for a label for my sickness" going on....and then unscrupulous assholes such as lawyers get to use and abuse psychology by saying there clients are ill. Yawn!

Personality disorders can be serious shit. You almost certainly know someone with one or work with someone who has one. A lot of people function completely unaware that they are damaged goods! They just don't find life that easy or make mistakes repeatedly and never learn or seem unable to do so....alternately, a lot of people can rise to the top...Dick Cheney is someone I'd suggest has a personality disorder.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was disgusted years with a friend who taught her 8 year old brat to call adults by their first name. A friend who was a 60-something retired colonel wasn't to thrilled either. The friend also had to make a separate dinner for the kid, since he would only eat certain things.

This isn't a personality disorder. It's raising a kid to think he can do anything he wants.

Let me see if I have gotten all of this correctly...

If I believe that the ghost of Telly Savalas lives in my left nostril, then I have a Psychiatric Disorder.

If I am an asshole about it and force everyone I meet to look into my nostril to say hello to Telly, then I also have a Personality Disorder.

Ok, I think I got it! :thumbup:

-=/NN

I thought 1 in 5 Americans with personality disorders is on the low side. I would say 98 out of 100 have personality disorders.

You got your numbers wrong a bit BT, its 98 out of 100 American women that have personality disorders. The remaining sane two are our mothers and sisters. :smirk:

I thought 1 in 5 Americans with personality disorders is on the low side. I would say 98 out of 100 have personality disorders.

You got your numbers wrong a bit BT' date=' its 98 out of 100 American women that have personality disorders. The remaining sane two are our mothers and sisters. :smirk: [/quote']

Sounds abut right. :neener:

Archived