fast course in driving in LOS

passingthru69

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely [color:blue]your IDL is a fake[/color]!!

But, no matter as I've never heard of any BIB questioning any license that's written in English!

There is NO such thing as a legitimate _10-year_ IDL (actually it's called an Intern'l Drivers Permit, not a License). IDP's issued have either a 1-year or 3-years validity. I've one issued by Thailand which I use when elsewhere in SEA; it's valid for 1-year.

According to the 1949 Convention on Road Traffic, an IDP remains valid for one year from the date of issue. However, according to the Vienna Convention, an IDP remains valid for three years from the date of issue, or until the expiration date of national (home)driving permit, whichever is earlier

But, no matter as I've never heard of any BIB questioning any license that's written in English!

that's not true!

was once stopped by a BIB asking for driver license; as i didn't have it with me, i showed him my old expired ID; he claimed that this does not look like a driver license; I asked him whether he can read english; he stopped interrogation and let me pass...

samak spot on :applause:

basically as long as your vehicle is in order (no red temporary plates) & not drawing any suspicion you'll find within 30days time the chance of being interrogated is very slim & when it does happen & he might ask to see any kind of license (preferably in english, but as Samak experienced most BiB won't be able to tell) & you'll be fine.

of course speeding in day time on most common toll & express ways will increase your chance of encounters with BiB, but again all they want is a bit of money & couldn't care less about IDL (fake or not although they may ask whether your license is an IDL!)

on driving here (on the left side mostly) I'd say driving in London will be a great primer & after that as said ignore all laws & one'll do great here as long as their reaction capabilities are fast enough & not too unpredictable...

motorbikes lack of back lights is the least of my worries, as their never ending waving in & out of traffic ever closer & deadlier to other larger vehicles.

so with motobikes as lead the most deadly cause in bkk & other dense traffic is the impatience to wait just a bit longer to reach a destination & thus pushing the limits & lucks that bit too far :(

cheers!

I ride a motorbike and I see 75% of the cars riding in both lanes!

Hey, WTF, get in one lane or the other!!!

The taxi is the worst,,,the bus is for shit!!!

Thai drivers are azzholes!!! Sorry, but get in one lane and stay there for more the 10 meters!!! Complete azzhole drivers...and the police do fuck all...welcome to LOS!

"get in one lane and stay there for more the 10 meters!"

hey you talking to me!!!??? :cover:

seriously what do you mean?

bikers are the worst on the typical dual lane roads where they'll accelerate to the front after red lights, but then 'block' cars like me from passing them as they cruise as slow speeds at whatever position among the 2 lanes as they deem suitable & usually changing more frequent than 10m!!! :banghead:

that seriously drive me nuts just as well as the other 'slow' cars next to the bike(s) thereby completing the 'block'.

this also happens at major 3-4 lane roads although the higher speeds & majority of fast & big vehicles puts the bike at odds to 'controlling' that road, but that doesn't stop them from trying!!

main problem & risk for bikes is their total contempt for yielding & they thus can only rely on survival as long as other vehicles will/can brake for them as they turn in front.

only once have I gotten a 'sorry' from a biker who turned in front of me, but way too many close encounters for my liking & I guess it's just a matter of time before those encounters become too close :(

happy driving :beer:

I already had my rant on Thai drivers several months.

Agree 100% with you and I further apply what you say to all Thai drivers of all vehicles.

Way back when, in farangland, I learned to drive and learned the meaning of "right of way"...unlike the Thai definition of "right of way" (I have the right to go whatever way I want, whenever I want).

For my part, I am driving in the far right lane, as dictated and enforced upon me by the BiB...and the BiB have pulled me over to question as when I have not been in the right lane (huge holes in the road in th right lane, cars illegally parked, etc).

In any event, it is an experience to drive in LOS!

Well, We still hve the red tags on the car.

big sign that says hey pull me over.

Have all the proper papers, just the red tag.

Somebody posted before I think you are restricted to certain hours with that? Is this true. Just a newbie about this. I tried staying out of the car deal and let my wife, her brother and cousin do the deal.

My name is not on any loan or title of car.

My choice.

yes about correct, but since the BiB don't work after dark your main issue is to avoid being pulled over during daytime :rolleyes:

for sure there's something about it as initially I had the reds & was more careful to observe most 'rules', but still I got frequently pulled over for no reason (now I know the reason was red plates & for for a short while missing sticker).

last couple of months never talked to a single cop bkk or upcountry (maybe I'm driving too fast for them LOL :hmmm::wave:

Archived