Farang and look kreung wanted for gameshow

waerth

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And how many tv series' date=' gameshows etc have you been in?

[/quote']

None but what's that got to do with anything? Anyone who has ever watched Thai TV can see that farangs are the target of ridicule. This may or may not be the case in the show you're talking about but generally it is.

I have been in over 30 tv shows over the years and apart from 2 times or so I have never been the target of ridicule. So where do you get your facts from?

Let me see I played:

A Farang who the neighbourhood noodle stand owner tried to cheat. But all of the neighbourhood rallied behind the farang because it was not good to cheat on someone.

A Farang who came on a holiday to his Thai relatives and helped solve a family fued.

A Farang who worked at a wat and thought visiting city brats the importance of learning other languages and about other cultures.

etc etc etc.

And you know what is the funny part. All of these parts were in Comedy Series in which they also want to put a serious message!

Apart from that I have played in a hidden camera show 3 times in which they take the piss out of Thai stars. Guess whom is one of the people that gets to take the piss out of these stars?

Yes offcourse sometimes they take the piss out of the farang, just like they take the piss out of themselves and out of other Thais, it is Thai nature, Sanuk remember. But many more times they do not!

How much does it pay?

Shitty, depending on your experience, how much they feel they can get away with etc.

It can be as low as 1000 baht and it can go up to 10.000 baht or more depending on how much they want you.

I usually refuse anything below 5000 baht nowadays for myself. Even though I am desperate for work from time to time. The problem is if you keep on accepting low payment they will go lower and lower all the time and they will try to play you out against others and let you come a couple of times for castings for free which means that in the end you make 0 baht because of all the extra costs you had.

At least now if someone calls me for a job I know they are serious that they want me and it is not a piss up. And I do not have to go for castings. When they call they want me. Which makes life a lot simpler even though I get less calls then before and some consider me arrogant for it!

Cool - my mum is in town soon -

That would have been a great one! But probably to late. How old is your daughter btw? (PM me if you want I can keep the pictures of your kids in stock in case someone wants look kreung, or I can go with your wife to one of the modelling agencies that specializes in kids up to 12 years old. I like that particular agency as they only call you for serious work, not one of the small jobs)

Waerth,

A friend of my wife and sis-in-law is an actress who works on the Thai TV/soaps etc. and has had bit parts in movies as well. She's been doing it for years. She has been bugging us for years to let our daughter come to BKK on the off school holiday months to get acting parts in TV, movies and commercials. It doesn't seem hard to get a part in many of these productions and it seems they are a bit desperate at times to find luk krueng and farang to play these parts (not you of course, as you are a known quantity/quality and have a good resume).

Maybe you can start an agency and have these 'actors' resumes and all that and get paid for sending the right people to these casting calls and auditions and even get a commission when they are hired from the producers and a cut from the actors provided? Just a thought.

Hi Cent,

I have thought about that as well. But I have seen the hassle involved. Getting bouncing checks. Checks that are dated 3 months from now etc. It is a hard line of work and competition is killing. I have a list of over 100 agencies doing this .....

They all get played against eachother by the production houses.

I would be interested to meet with the friend of your wife's. She might be able to get me into things and vice versa! So if you would be kind enough Cent :)

The reason why they are desperate at times is simple. They insist on putting new faces on all the time! Both with Thais and Farang. The problem is that experienced faces usually demand more money, because they know the going rates better, and also know their bullshit (and no they do not just do that to Farangs, but to every "new face").

One of the problems is that there is a group of farangs with good jobs coming for free, competing away people like myself who are dependent on the money! It is very hard to keep yourself standing in this industry as at a certain point your face is considered to well known, but not famous enough. It is a miracle that I have had a relative steady number of jobs since 2004. With dips from time to time. But the jobs that I get on my own average about 6-7 a year and apart from that I get about 4-5 jobs with the whole comedy group on tv. Add to that the numerous repeats, in November I was on tv 5 times in one week 4 repeats and 1 fresh show, and it can add up from time to time. Unfortunately you do not get money for repeats. I usually find out that I have been on tv from the motorcycle guys or other people at the condo and when I get a heightened number of stares and whispers when I move around Bangkok (keywords are dara and talok that I hear). Also when we perform with the group and a relatively high number of people come for autographs and pictures you know something has been repeated somewhere.

Archived