Most affluent (Thai) people are cautious in their spending

Central Scrutinizer

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess typical American you claim aa a US Invention whereas it was actualy a development of a device patented by British Inventor Kane Kramer in 1979!

Is that typical American behavior in your experience? In mine, Europeans are much more likely to be offended over national issues of provenance than Americans. Unless there is a lawsuit involved... Asians are the worst. Ask a Japanese about Korea's role in their history (or vice versa) and you'll get an earful.

So ok, the iPod was invented by a Brit. Was your "name an American invention" question a ploy to get an American to mistakenly claim an invention thereby proving the arrogance and lack of cross-border sensitivity of Americans? Or did you really not think Americans have invented a lot of useful things?

And did those feet in ancient time

Walk upon England's mountains green?

And was the holy Lamb of God

On England's pleasant pastures seen?

And did the Countenance Divine

Shine forth upon our clouded hills?

And was Jerusalem builded here

Among those dark Satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold:

Bring me my arrows of desire:

Bring me my spear: O clouds, unfold!

Bring me my chariot of fire!

I will not cease from mental fight,

Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand

Till we have built Jerusalem

In England's green and pleasant land.

Sorry, having a patriotic moment...the UK is FUBAR, but wanted to make a rousing post. It's needed. Always have and always will love this poem ( by Blake)/Hymn (Jerusalem).

I guess Mekong forgot about the Ipod. About every third post of his in tech. is about the Ipod/Iphone.

I guess typical American you claim aa a US Invention whereas it was actualy a development of a device patented by British Inventor Kane Kramer in 1979!

Then why is Anthony M. Fadell (an American of Lebanese descent) listed as the inventor of the iPod while working for Apple?

"The iPod is one of the greatest inventions of the recent times. When the first iPod was launched, nobody had imagined that it would be such a hit. A brain child of Tony Fadell, it was first conceived to provide a better version of an MP3 player. After being turned down by RealNetworks and Phillips, Fadell found support for his project with Apple. Tony Fadell went to work for Apple as an independent contractor, leading a team of thirty people to develop the new MP3 player. The result was the launch of iPod in October 2001."

Back on the topic. I see many middle class Thais that save save save. Many are extremely frugal and do not waste their money on frivolous things. While those with much less seem to spend money on loads of crap trying to look like they have money, and to 'keep up with the Jonses'. I know some who are way over their heads in debt, and always buying the latest of whatever is 'new'. Most of those people are in trouble and always borrowing from their more fiscally conservative relatives. I see the worst are the men from my experience.

Archived