Driving licence?

Lusty

Get an international license from your country.

Convert to local license. You may not need to sit the test, but will have to show them a doctor's certificate and a confirmation of local address.

If you're going to be here a while, you might as well stay legal...

Besides, a local license can double as identification (in lieu of passport) and may get you the Thai price at some places still practicing double tier pricing... :)

I recently took a trip by car where I was driving. During the trip to and from my destination, there were 6 police "check points". Only two of them I was made to stop. One, I rolled down the window and the guy saw it was a farang and said "Oh Chompoo (or however it's spelled)(which is how they say farang in the south) and let us go. The other one I had to pull out my U.S. driving license and my gf gave hers as well. Cops looked at it for a bit, asked me if I spoke Thai, which I said I did just a bit and he said have a nice night and let us go.

I do not have an international license nor a Thai so this was probably a lucky break but for me but I did not need anything other than my home state's U.S. license.

An international license is worthless in Thailand as it is only a translation of your home country/state license and Thai is not one of the languages they include. Most are just scams. If your license is in English there is not a problem using it in Thailand for short durations.

If you have a valid license from your home country you only need to pass a few physical test, i.e. color blindness, reflexes, and depth perception to get a Thai one, no written or road test. You do need a certification of your Thai address which can be from immigration or a work permit.

First one is for a year, second one is for 5.

TH

An international license is worthless in Thailand as it is only a translation of your home country/state license and Thai is not one of the languages they include....

On the contrary I found my International License to be very useful in Thailand. It was even accepted by my car insurers when I had a couple of knocks. :thumbup:

As have been reported over & over there is the rules/laws in place & then there's the enforcement/life in practice.

By law at least an international license is needed (good for shorter stays, rental cars with extended insurance etc). For long stay residents (more than a few months) a local license is mandatory/recommended as e.g. most insurances may not pay up otherwise.

Typically any western license written in english or even less known languages with only parts or none in english will be fine most of the time e.g. when stopped by police who may or may not be able to identify an international license from a local etc.

In the rare & unlucky event of an accident the fine prints however may come in full view & as an outsider one will easily find himself as default at fault & if e.g. no valid license (acc. Thai law) can be produced well then the 'penalty' is not gonna be lower enough said... :(

From the Budget web site on driving in Thailand:

Drivers License

All drivers must hold a current, non-probationary license. The license may either be Thai, or from a renter's country of residence (with an English translation) or an international drivers permit. Licenses (and a valid passport) must be carried at all times when driving.

Have rented from several rental agencies in Thailand and they all took the US driversâ?? license and the one time I had an international driving permit (obtained form AAA in US, one of two authorized agencies) they didnâ??t want it. Cops have never had a problem with the US one either.

I stand by my statement, if your home country license is in English and you are here for short duration, an international driving permit is a waste of money. Note that Thailand has never ratified the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. and an IDP is not a stand alone document and if it was sold to as such, you were scammed.

From wikipedia

Fraudulent IDP

In the United States, the Department of State has authorized two private entities, the American Automobile Association and the American Automobile Touring Alliance's National Automobile Club as the only entities in the United States to issue IDPs. They advise against purchasing IDPs from unauthorized outlets, as these are sometimes fraudulent.[1]

The United Nations does not issue International Driving Permits. The depiction of the UN emblem or the name "United Nations" is not required nor authorized by either the 1949 or 1968 United Nations Conventions on Road Traffic.[2]

TH

Archived