Nancy Pelosi Defends Condoms as Aid for Economy

chuck6660

So according to the Drudge Report, Nancy Pelosi, the Democratic Speaker of the House, said the following on Sundayâ??s â??This Weekâ? on ABC:

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi boldly defended a move to add birth control funding to the new economic "stimulus" package, claiming "contraception will reduce costs to the states and to the federal government."

Pelosi, the mother of 5 children and 6 grandchildren, who once said, "Nothing in my life will ever, ever compare to being a mom," seemed to imply babies are somehow a burden on the treasury.

The revelation came during an exchange Sunday morning on ABC's THIS WEEK.

STEPHANOPOULOS: Hundreds of millions of dollars to expand family planning services. How is that stimulus?

PELOSI: Well, the family planning services reduce cost. They reduce cost. The states are in terrible fiscal budget crises now and part of what we do for children's health, education and some of those elements are to help the states meet their financial needs. One of those - one of the initiatives you mentioned, the contraception, will reduce costs to the states and to the federal government.

STEPHANOPOULOS: So no apologies for that?

PELOSI: No apologies. No. we have to deal with the consequences of the downturn in our economy.

Letâ??s take a look at that last comment. â??We have to deal with the consequences of the downturn in our economy.â? So because of the recession, we should not have kids? Now, in case you argue, â??No, no, she is simply talking about using the pill, and condoms, etc. to avoid stds, and unwanted pregnancies.â? Well, then why did she say: â??The states are in terrible fiscal budget crises now and part of what we do for...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here we go again.

If seems as if any time a US Politician so much as farts someone feels the need to post about it in here.

WE DONT GIVE A FUCK!

So sorry mekong! :wanker:

Next time I find something interesting and/or ridiculous and considering posting to this site, I will run it by you. I would hate to hurt your sensibilities! or better yet, I'll just :closemouth:

Here we go again.

If seems as if any time a US Politician so much as farts someone feels the need to post about it in here.

WE DONT GIVE A FUCK!

Mekong,

1. Nancy Pelosi Defends Condoms as Aid for Economy â?? US NEWS

2. Geert puts Holland in the news! - DUTCH NEWS

3. BBC loses its impartiality â?? UK NEWS

4. Prince Harry and girl friend split. â?? UK NEWS

5. Obesity bug you can catch! â?? UK NEWS

6. Obama preparing order to close Gitmo â?? US NEWS

7. A failure at suicide â?? US NEWS

8. Brazilian model (feet/hands amputated) dies from drug resistant infection â?? BRAZIL NEWS

9. Knives again!!! â?? UK NEWS

10. KNEE JERK REACTION....BAN KNIVES!!! â?? BELGIAN NEWS

11. Chinese student decapitated at US college â?? US NEWS12. Life on Mars! â?? US/WORLD NEWS

13. SUSHI RAGE: Chef Accused Of Going Knife Wild â?? US NEWS

14.Israeli Air Force uses new US-supplied smart bomb â?? ISRAELI NEWS

15. Norway: 2 killed in shooting outside kindergarten â?? NORWAY NEWS

16. Mexican collapse? Drug wars worry some Americans â?? MEX/US NEWS

17. Jesse Jackson...where is he now??? - US NEWS

18. Inauguration declared 'emergency' â?? US NEWS

19. Half Thai girl's acid rapists only sentenced to 9 years â?? UK NEWS

20. There's always one! â?? CANADIAN NEWS

21. Australia says 2 fishermen rescued; report 18 lost - Aus News

22. crash landing into Hudson River in New York City â?? US NEWS

23. Another big financial scandal! â?? US NEWS

24. I just don't get it!!! â?? US NEWS

25. Prostitute-Rating Web Site Lands Ohio Man in Jail â?? US NEWS

OK, thatâ??s 12 posts for US news, 5 UK news posts, 1 Dutch, 1 Brazil, 1 Canadian, 1 Norway, and 1 Israel news post on the front page of the forum.

Population:

1. USA â?? 305,692,738

2. UK â?? 60,975,000

3. Netherlands â?? 16,000,000

4. Brazil â?? 167,660,687

5. Canada - 32,270,500

6. Israel - 7,112,359

So, are there more Americans on the board than all others? KS should know easily enough with his stats programs (Iâ??d bet the percentage is high). It seems likely, as their general population is much larger than all the others that have news being posted on the 1st page of the non-Thailand News Forum and all the pages of the forum. Seeing that the US has about 5 times as many people as the UK it would/could possibly have 5 times as much members here posting news, but that doesnâ??t seem to be the case really if you look at the many UK posters here that are prolific posters. Brazil seems to be slacking, :-) but then English is not their language and we do see much less of the South Americans here on the board it seems, so not a mystery really. Also it does seem that the UK brethren do post quite a bit of their collective countryâ??s news on here, much more so than the countries of Europe, of which there seems to be a fair amount of posting members here. Being that this is an English language discussion board though and English is not the Europeans native tongue I donâ??t really find that so surprising. There are many Thailand-themed web-boards out there on the internet in German, Dutch, French, Norweigian, etc.

Depending on the stats KS can show us as to how many Americans post here, compared to the UK, etc. Iâ??d imagine that that will show us who of all the countries posting here make up the bulk of the posters. Would it be any surprise that if the bulk/majority of members here are American that they post many of the non-Thailand news articles and that they would post about the US more often than other news from around the world? Iâ??d be surprised if they didnâ??t. Face it; due to the size of the US, its standing/stature in the world, their large English language population, the US generates more English language news than any other country. Also, if you look at the posters, and where they come from, posting here many of these US news reports are posted by NON-Americans. Itâ??s not just the Yanks posting this stuff here.

Not starting an argument or defending the fact that much of the news here is US based. Seems to me to be about numbers, about interest, and about the fact that the board is using English as the default language of the membership posting here.

I wonder how much news about the US (or the UK and Australia) is discussed on non-English language message boards of this sort?

Personally I'd much rather see more Thai-related news and posts and such here. I've been trying to post more Thai news of interest (at least to my interest) in the Thailand news forum to hopefully get more members discussing Thailand rather than non-Thailand topics. If we all did that, and if we all posted more on Thailand related topics, this board would be much better off for it I feel, and much more interesting for me at least. :thumbup:

Cent,

OK you want to play the statistics game, approximately only 20% of US citizens hold a passport so approx 61 Million wheras between 44.7 and 49.6 Million Brits carry a passport.

Lets call it 60 Mill v 45 Mill, based on that ratio of 1.333:1 for the 5 UK News posts the proportional representation of US would be 6.666 or to round it up 7 posts but as you correctly pointed out the ratio is 12:5 which equates to 2.4:1 thereby postings about US based news items are 80% higher than what would be considered proportional based on the number of travellers from each nation.

You must try harder if quoting figures to me mate :)

Mekong,

Yes, that is true, but then the states is much larger and the climate more diverse than the UK, so I'd expect many of your citizens to travel and have a passport to go to warmer climes on holiday. In the US we can just fly or even drive to the southern states where the weather is nice. :) :thumbup: No need for a passport, and for some strange reason many Americans don't travel as much out of the country as UK and Euros do. I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe because our country is so huge and much of what a person wants and needs is right there (except for seeing and learning about other cultures). I've always wanted to travel, first in the states I went around a lot checking out the country, then started going overseas when I had the chance.

But let's see what sort of numbers KS has for the membership here. I'd imagine that will tell us a lot. Also, as I said, I do think due to the US's prominence and large presence in the world (yeah, much of it military presence - but also the entertainment industry and the business world) that this has a large influence, as well as the other facts I raised about the language and the large news media, on the presence of a lot of news from the states being posted here. And as said, many posting this stuff are not Americans.

And yes, from what I have seen of Pelosi, she's a twit. :)

Archived