Don Wai Market

buffalo_bill

Gentlemen ,

no doubt the majority of all Bkk - based expats and quality tourists spend most weekends at the Floating Market , the Snakefarm , the Crocodile farm , the Orchchidfarm or the Grand Palace . I have never been to any of these places but felt a strong desire within my inner self to catch up with the community . Therefore I left the big city last Saturday to pay a visit to Don Wai market , a place 45 km outside Bangkok towards Nakhon Pathom and somewehere to the left .

Anybody who is into buying food Thai style and adores quiet countryside klong-life should see the place . There is nothing spectacular but a huge Chatuchak-style food market neighboured by one of the old klongs or maybe it's a river. There are no longtails for rent so I hired one the big passenger boats ( 700 baht ) and asked the pilot to drive up and down the canal for 45 minutes which he did . Absolutely wonderful .

The charming thing about Don Wai market is that there are zero tourists , nobody speaks one word English and in the middle of the market they were just cremating somebody within a temple area . My appointed Thailand road transportation executive Pee Tada did all the communication . 4 hours round trip 750 baht , how is this possible ? I gave him 1000 .

Conclusion : ideal for a 3 to 4 hours trip to show the visitor from abroad a fine piece of unspoilt Thai lifestyle . Just great .

A BuBi quality thread . :thumbup:

One of the touts in the alley leading to the Jim Thompson House warned me " Jim Thomfom closed on Monday " . Great approach though fruitless : it was Wednesday.

indeed another bubi quality thread - if you don't hold your fire shortly you'll end up breathing so much new life into the board that most of the cynics will give up & remain as lurkers only :cover:

:)

anyway is the the market where you pass a log of orchid fields/farms not long before reaching the market/klong/river?

cheers :beer:

Archived