Shopping in Thailand

unregisturd

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are travelling to Thailand in Feb. and are planning to visit Bangkok, Kho Samui, Pattaya and Phuket.

We plan on doing a lot of shopping for clothes and wanted to know if the best place to do this is in Bangkok?

We plan on visiting Chatuchak, Patpong and Pratunam markets as I have heard these are the best places to go. Is this correct?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

We plan on visiting Chatuchak, Patpong and Pratunam markets as I have heard these are the best places to go. Is this correct?

Only if you want to look like a backpacker, cheap and cheerfull springs to mind, but dress to impress doesn't. Try MBK if you have a modest budget or Siam centre if you have a bit more cash to splash.

chatuchak, Pratunam, Bobe, MBK for cheap leisure clothes

good quality and cheap: so called factory outlets; Fly in Pattaya and Petchburi; another factory outlet is in the Big C building on Rachadamri opposite Central World.

brand clothes: Emporium, Gaysorn, Siam Paragon

Very low quality goods can be found in all the markets the OP mentions. MBK is a tourist trap. The quality of goods available is lower quality and (especially with current exchange rates) more expensive than what you could buy in Primark in the UK.

Most Thai people in 'polite society' would say the best place to shop is Siam Paragon.

I am shattered to read what the community seems to think about the people trying to sell expensive things at the Paragon . Prices are are rather identical to those in Europe except for the cars they show on the 3rd floor . Additionally , for example the Armani shop offers 50 and 60 % discounts at the moment bringing prices for shirts down to around 5.000 Baht which is a giveaway in relation to Europe . Product is identical , though small sizes are plenty on offer, velly goos for Khun Bubi .

Alternatively , I buy T-shirts and Thai trousers from Pratunam and would say for reasonable quality at ridiculously low prices Pratunam is the source of choice . It just takes some time to fiddle yourseld through the chaos .

Better quality at low prices can be found at the PLATINUM MARKETPLACE; on Phetchabury Rd across from Phratunam Market, just a block or so from Pantip Plaza. It is well laid out and air conditioned. Start at the upper floors for lower prices. Avoid weekends, very crowded.

From one who knows, pay heed to the pickpocket warnings at Chatuchak.

If you buy any shirts, t-shirts etc. from Pratunam/Platinum Mall, Bobe, JJ Market make sure you buy a size larger than what you normally wear.

Unless of course you decide to never wash the things.

Trust me, I've got a cupboard full of shirts that would now fit a twelve year old! :banghead:

Good for waxing the car though. :)

Archived