Cost of Living (Survival) in LOS ?

sidsanuk

old houses where the land prices has soared during recent years probably yes; in particular if the living space is small in comparison to total land or the place is not well maintained

for new ones not as the economics would not make sense for the landlord

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a very different situation in Oz cities (and even many towns) to the LOS - demand for rentals seems to be a lot higher than supply and that has allowed landlords to absolutely gouge renters in Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane. I know that you can pay exorbitant rents in BKK - no question - but as a proportion of 'average weekly earnings' I would not be at all surprised to find that we pay some of the highest rents in the world here. Real estate has been massively overvalued for at least a decade, and its only now that the bubble is beginning to seriously deflate. One poor sod on the Gold Coast sold his beachside block for 5 million less than he paid for it just a few years ago - that has to hurt. :smirk:

a clever argument, cavanami!

talking about survival and then willing to purchase real estate for over 15 million THB! :neener:

Just meaning what is the range. And some have indicated what it is possible to 'survive' on. If the economy does not pick up and my business with it, I will be at the survival end of the scale not the 15 million house end :(

For me, I would start out on the low end and if things are OK, upgrade higher.

The basic $$$ to survive...20K baht/month?

5K apartment (room)

3K utilities (water, electric)

10K food

2K transportation, phone, misc.

I would find it difficult to live below 20K/month but it could be done, just not by me.

I would say that starting at 50K a month is more realistic and still that could be tight if some unexpected medical comes up or you might want to travel a bit.

I do find that the $$$ does evaporate quickly in LOS!

Archived