Fuzzy Laptop Screen

gawguy

I am working with two almost identical thinkpad laptops that have the same screen.

In the Display Properties dialog box I have both set for 1024 X 768. One displays clearly, while the other one is a little fuzzy. This is most noticeable with text.

The fuzzy one has more capability to for more pixels, up to 1400 X 1050. This is clear, but makes everything on the screen, including the Youtube video screen area, a lot smaller.

I would prefer the fuzzy one to work like the sharp one, that is, sharp at 1024 X 768.

What do I need to know?

Thanks,

Gaw Guy

Hi,

The problem is the LCD screen. It has been made for a display of 1400 x 1050, which would mean each pixel is addressed individually and set to it's specific color.

If however you set the screen resolution to anything other than the 'native' resolution, the color has to be spread over multiple pixels. This isn't fully possible and the screen compensated by adjusting the colors in the area to approximate the right colors.

Hope that made sense.

The short answer is, you can't fix it. Best solution would be to set the resolution to 1400 x 1050.

Sanuk!

Hi,

The problem is the LCD screen. It has been made for a display of 1400 x 1050, which would mean each pixel is addressed individually and set to it's specific color...

The short answer is, you can't fix it. Best solution would be to set the resolution to 1400 x 1050.

Okay. Very good and informative, including the article referenced by Carlton. I made that adjustment and the fuzziness is gone.

This raises another question and I hope you see this: The computer that displays large and sharp does not offer screen resolutions higher than 1024 X 768. It does not offer 1400 X 1050 although the LCD's are the same size and pixels. If 1400 X 1050 is the ideal setting, wouldn't it be better if I set it? Or..."If it ain't broke, don't fix it." ?

Yep, I had the same problem with pixel size as well recently.

I had purchased a 22" inch LCD monitor, but the resolution was too high for me and I could not read the web pages well anymore. Luckily I could give it back.

Next time I buy a monitor or notebook I will test the screen before...

Archived