Health Insurance

RayRay

All,

Due to the recent economic downturn my old man has accepted an "early retirement" package from his employer. He currently lives in Dubai but was considering retiring to Thailand.

He is 63 years old and has diabetes. Other than that (yeah, I know...) he's pretty much OK. Doesn't drink excessively, doesn't smoke, etc. He was wondering if it would be possible for someone in his situation (US citizen, age, plus pre-existing condition) to obtain medical insurance in Thailand.

Back in the States medical insurance is going to run him $55,000 per year. Guess that's why everyone is putting all their money into health care companies now; bunch of thieves they are. Not sure if this is the right place to ask; but maybe some board member has gone through something similar recently.

Cheers,

RayRay

From what I've read, 60 years old seems to be the cut off age for easy access to health insurance in Thailand. So, even if I don't move there until I'm 65, I may get health insurance in LOS when I'm 59. As of now, I don't have any pre-existing health problmes. I would check it out anyway, if I were your dad. Good luck!

If he ever decides he might want to live in USA,

he could move to one of the "guaranteed issue" states (NY, NJ, MA, VT, .....and now MD

has something close to it)....where everyone

is guaranteed hlth. insurance at the same price,

regardless of health and age. Roughly about

12k per year in NJ and NY. He wouldn't even

be able to get hlth insurance in most other

states given his diabetes and age.

I don't know if your .S. based company, he is entitled to health coverage, under Cobra, for at least 18 months after leaving a company. I'm not sure if it is only in the case of being fired but I would have your father contact the company and have it in the retirement package. The bad news is your father would have to pay the entire premimum by himself but it should be far less than the $55,000 you said he would have to pay in the case of individual H.I. Depending on how close he is to his 65th birthday (in months), he could have the insurance continue until he qualifies for medicare. This doesn't help if he wants to move to Thailand but at least he would have decent health insurance going to his qualification for medicare.

Archived