Health Insurance

RayRay

I don't know what happened to my first sentence, but it was supposed to read; I don't know if your father worked for a U.S. or foreign company, based in Dubai, but, if the company is U.S., he is entitled to health coverage ....

What is the origin of the $55K rate? The rates can vary a lot based on where he will live in the USA. For example, the rates for NYC are going to be higher than the rates in Orlando.

Is he a member of a trade or professional association? They often have health insurance options for members. He could join AARP and take advantage of their plans. He can go to the AARP website and obtain quotes for different levels of coverage.

I went with a friend to the BUPA sales office a few years ago. When he mentioned that his cholesterol was at the higher end of the acceptable range and that he took LIPITOR in a small dosage, they immediately declared that he would be excluded from coverage for ANY circulatory or coronary condition.

Considering this, I can't imagine what conditions they would cover for a person with a history of diabetis.

My question does he really need full blown health insurance if he is going to live in Thailand? If his only current problem is diabetes, how much does that cost to treat in Thailand? You can get a lot of health care in Thailand for USD 55k a year (thatâ??s some 2 million baht), even at the major farang market hospitals. If he has some serious capital (or even income) he may not need to spend the money on premiums, as long as he has the money to pay for a major problem, which would be a lot cheaper then in the US.

Besides, if has a really big problem, the OP is around to pick up the slack, after all that is what children are for, aren't they? :shhh:

TH

My question does he really need full blown health insurance if he is going to live in Thailand? If his only current problem is diabetes, how much does that cost to treat in Thailand? You can get a lot of health care in Thailand for USD 55k a year (thatâ??s some 2 million baht), even at the major farang market hospitals. If he has some serious capital (or even income) he may not need to spend the money on premiums, as long as he has the money to pay for a major problem, which would be a lot cheaper then in the US.

Besides, if has a really big problem, the OP is around to pick up the slack, after all that is what children are for, aren't they? :shhh:

TH

Diabetes can be a major health problem and can be very, very expensive. Without health insurance a person with severe diabetes might be in a very dangerous position.

Read my post. I was suggesting he do a objective cost analysis to decide what might be the best route to take. If he has had diabetes for a while he probably has a very good idea of the care and medication he needs and what could be a worse case. He then needs to find out what that might cost in Thailand versus what insurance premiums would be.

To buy insurance is not an automatic decision based on "can be very, very expensive". It is a fairly simple cost/risk analysis that often comes out with the answer that insurance is not the best way to go. Unfortunately, the insurance business has brainwashed us into thinking you have to have insurance for everything. The fact of the matter remains an insurance company is going to charge in premiums what they estimate the cost of payments might be over the life of the policy, plus profit on top. If he has the capital, he can basically insure himself for less. Living in Thailand would make this much more feasible as he can limit his catastrophic exposure to much less then in the US.

TH

Archived