Gullivers Suk soi 5????

drogon

There is a small apartment house near me that houses many Nigerians. I have been seeing the same ones for years. Every now and then the police come and round up a bunch, but they soon return. These are not hi-so Nigerians.

The apartments are the single room, 3000B per month and they pack in to one room.

My question...if the police kick them out of the country, how do they keep getting back in? false passports? name changes? they must have some trick.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was in Gulliver's 3 weeks ago, but not without a problem. I am a Black American.

When I approached the door they ask me if I was a member (usually a queue to not being wanted).

I answered no and they directed me to the side door where a older thai employee was selling tickets to enter for 200 baht.

When I ask about this, he explained their management have been getting complaints the Africans have been overtly loud and rude to the FL girls.

I went into a semi-long discussion with him of how their action is profiling all Blacks who visit their establishment who not necessarily will cause trouble. If possible kick the trouble makers out.

I explained there are many Black tourist who are Americans and from the UK that visit Bangkok frequently, and should not be prejudged for bad behavior just by the color of their skin. Obviously it's their bar and they can do whatever they want, I was just giving him my opinion.

Anyways, the final outcome was I was allowed in without buying a ticket. If you are black and can prove to be a non-african (show a passport) you will get in free without buying a ticket. I will probably wait for things to cool down before visiting again.

Tom.

Interesting post.

With the great variety of options available, I personally would not return to any bar where I felt unwelcome or was hassled, for any reason, but that's your choice.

I never liked Gulliver's much anyway, only because the atmosphere seems too much like a chain restaurant in California (home). Same went for The Living Room on Clinton Plaza.

Was in Gulliver's 3 weeks ago, but not without a problem. I am a Black American.

When I approached the door they ask me if I was a member (usually a queue to not being wanted).

I answered no and they directed me to the side door where a older thai employee was selling tickets to enter for 200 baht.

When I ask about this, he explained their management have been getting complaints the Africans have been overtly loud and rude to the FL girls.

I went into a semi-long discussion with him of how their action is profiling all Blacks who visit their establishment who not necessarily will cause trouble. If possible kick the trouble makers out.

I explained there are many Black tourist who are Americans and from the UK that visit Bangkok frequently, and should not be prejudged for bad behavior just by the color of their skin. Obviously it's their bar and they can do whatever they want, I was just giving him my opinion.

Anyways, the final outcome was I was allowed in without buying a ticket. If you are black and can prove to be a non-african (show a passport) you will get in free without buying a ticket. I will probably wait for things to cool down before visiting again.

Tom.

That is outrageous. Absolutely outrageous.

Fuck Gulliver's.

And its aberrant apostrophe ('Traveller's Tavern': which fucking traveller is that then, eh?)

From the above posts it seems gullivers management applied the measures many people on another board requested....

Sadly, this represents a problem for US/EU black people....

From what I read on the other board:

In November-December last year -> the Nigerian "gangs" invaded gullivers, nursing the same drinks for hours -> trying to scam every foreigner passing by, chasing away the FL by being rude etc...

Result (as claimed on the other board) was the slow death of gullivers -> FL fleeing -> farang following as no more FL -> gullivers hurting.

Seems many readers on the other board were in favor of a strong move by gullivers management to solve the problem -> filter entry for black people

I don't say what was reported elsewhere is true but it seems it was/is....

This might seem outrageous but TIT and discrimination is nothing new in LOS.

Taxi drivers have told me of their problems with Nigerians. Most say they will lock the doors if a Nigerian approaches. They claim they can tell Black Americans and Black Brits from the Africans, but I'm sure they make mistakes. Never heard of the crap at Gulliver's before though. Not entirely surprising, since Gulliver's is strange anyway.

A few years ago, I was going to a Nanaplaza Friday night gathering there and had stopped at the hotel on the soi to pick up a couple of bottles of wine brought me by a friend from Israel. The clowns at the door told me I could not bring it inside. I had to leave it with them, hoping it would be there when I left. Did they think I was going to open it inside and drink it all? I've also been forced to leave groceries from Foodland outside too. The door guards are complete idiots.

Archived