Gullivers Suk soi 5????

drogon

CTO: One has to exercise critical thinking on a case by case basis in his daily interactions while avoiding generalizations is impossible....

There's a difference between generalizing as a cognitive process vs. a communication tool. We can't help the cognitive process. We have complete control over how we use it in communication. Based on your posts, it seems to me you often use the first to justify sloppy use of the second.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If nigerians come to gulllivers and create problems, then gullivers should keep them out. Don't see why anyone would expect gullivers to do otherwise.

This isn't an up-to-the-minute report, but when I was in Gulliver's at the beginning of February, it was back to its old plain-vanilla self. Same mix of farangs and Thai girls as it had traditionally been, not much different at all.

This contrasts sharply from a visit in September at the height of Gulliver's troubles. Back then, I walked in at about 9 p.m. on a weekday evening. It was the same farang tourist crowd of diners as always in the outdoor section, but inside, the front bar was deserted - no girls (zero, none, nada), maybe one or two farangs. Not knowing anything about the situation (I hadn't read the Bangkok blog at that point), I sat in corner seat to have a drink and kill some minutes until meeting a friend. I figured it was just a slow night, as everything in BKK was slow in September.

I noticed a group of Africans way in the back of the bar, but didn't give them much thought ... until one approached me and told me to move from where I was sitting. I stifled my impulse to ask, "Shouldn't you be offering to split $67 million with me?" and just told him "No."

He wasn't happy with that answer and two of his friends moved up to join him. With hostiles confronting me on three sides, I felt like Lt. Chard at Rorke's Drift. It got pretty tense, but some of the Thai serving staff came to my rescue. My antagonists backed off, I finished my drink and left, wondering what the hell it had all been about.

That was in fact the first time I'd gone toe-to-toe in a bar with a non-farang. I've tangled with farangs in LOS bars on several occasions through the years, but never before with a non-farang. I don't know why the guy didn't want me to sit where I had, except perhaps that it gave me a fair view of the deals being done at the back of Gulliver's. Naughty, naughty, guys - just say no.

I wouldn't continue to patronize a bar where I'm not wanted. But my February visit tends to indicate the shift in the customer base was temporary and the future of Gulliver's is no longer as dark as it once appeared.

Evel

:devil:

CTO: One has to exercise critical thinking on a case by case basis in his daily interactions while avoiding generalizations is impossible....

There's a difference between generalizing as a cognitive process vs. a communication tool. We can't help the cognitive process. We have complete control over how we use it in communication. Based on your posts' date=' it seems to me you often use the first to justify sloppy use of the second.[/quote']

That doesn't make any sense.

Indeed, especially if I remember my theory of communication courses as well as sociology and psychology ones....

But I didn't want to start a debate about cognitive processes and what are considered communication tools....

Some people are very knowledgeable in economy -> but do mix a lot of things in other domains...

Cheers and happy easter to all

Archived