Gullivers Suk soi 5????

drogon

Never had problems with Nigerians before (at least not in BKK) but I was kind of concerned by the "potential problems" at gullivers for personal reasons.....

Mind to elaborate as to why the taxi drivers are scared?

Do Nigerians attack them? Try to scam them?

(would be quite funny to see a Nigerian trying to scam a taxi driver though...)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not only the taxi drivers, the ladies also report of these guys doing a runner.

I have seen the same, same for sure, guys here for a while, the cops throw them out of LOS and then a few months later, they are back.

Now I am seeing more coming here with their wives/GF, seems the Nigerians have an easy time to enter and stay in LOS :dunno:

I thought the Nigerians in BKK had the same behavior as the Africans here in MDD...

I was wrong, seems the ones in BKK can be violent...which is odd to me.

The Africans here are illegal but are "allowed" to do their little traffic -> selling CD/DVD like panthip plaza does and fake bags etc...from what I understand they are allowed to do so as long as they keep low profile and quiet, otherwise there would be a mass deportation

What are the Thais doing???

When I think how difficult it is for us foreigners to be allowed to stay, immigrate, do business etc...and surely these Nigerians don't land with a non immigrant B etc...

TIT

A few years ago, I was going to a Nanaplaza Friday night gathering there and had stopped at the hotel on the soi to pick up a couple of bottles of wine brought me by a friend from Israel. The clowns at the door told me I could not bring it inside. I had to leave it with them, hoping it would be there when I left. Did they think I was going to open it inside and drink it all? I've also been forced to leave groceries from Foodland outside too. The door guards are complete idiots.

Yup. Shit like that made me forgo the place completely. Friends bringing stuff for me, or vice-versa and being forced to leave it outside unsecured. Aside from what Vergie said about it being too reminiscent on a chain shithole in the US.

Again a few years back, I & the ex-Mrs were there, eating outside with three other couples and a couple of their kiddies. We had drinks, dinner, wine, more drinks and ran up a several thousand baht bill. The kiddies were a bit bored and getting rambunctious. Their mom bought them some ice cream from a vendor walking by to settle them down. The security guards came over and ordered her to discard the ice creams. Fuck them, it's not like we did not spend a shitload of money there that night! We paid up and none of us have ever been back! And we all made sure the manager knew that would be the case (naturally, he did not care).

Cheers,

SD

There is a small apartment house near me that houses many Nigerians. I have been seeing the same ones for years. Every now and then the police come and round up a bunch, but they soon return. These are not hi-so Nigerians.

The apartments are the single room, 3000B per month and they pack in to one room.

My question...if the police kick them out of the country, how do they keep getting back in? false passports? name changes? they must have some trick.

Maybe just time for the cops 500 baht per Nigerian bonus payment. :devil:

Just 2 side notes before I return to lurk mode.

I am currently in Phnom Penh Cambodia. There is a disco I frequent called Hearts. The partygoers consist of backpackers, NGO's, expats, young middleclass Cambodians, Africans and freelancers.

On a weekend you will get between 15-20 Africans in attendance. I would probably say they are from the same elk as someone here described as gangsters. There is definitely drug trade exchange between some and the backpackers. During the course of the evening situations get a little rowdy. After a few bottles of beer, insanity takeover and many people here get into this macho mood. Believe me, Hearts should not be one of your to-do list if you dislike being kicked, bumped and jabbed while strolling through the lounge.

In regards to the Africans, when they get a little frisky, loud or abusive, the Hearts security staff appear to take a more delicate approach. They will pat them on their back calming them down, speak to them in a low and non threatening tone, a hand shake and the trouble is defused. Whenever Africans enter the club, a security member usually gives them a welcome hand shake which sets the tone of a personnel relationship with their customers. I would say the interaction between the security, bartenders, pool table staff with the Africans here in Hearts is both sincere and cordial.

Now, don't get me wrong its not all altruistic on the part of the staff without some monetary compensation, these Africans do bring in a good amount of beer money for the club.

But what I do like about them is their sullen low-key approach to defuse trouble before it can escalate. As oppose to what I have seen in some Bangkok clubs.

The point is, if this non-violent tactical approach can work resonably well in some cases with hardcore Africans in Phnom Penh, why Gulliver's cannot incorporate something similar. Why have this one size fits all attitude. Try something different. Obviously, i cannot compare a hole-in-the-wall Cambodian disco with Gulliver's, Two different model sets, but hey, call me silly, but i believe most of these Africans can be conditioned and humanized to meet the standards and practices expected at Gulliver's. Take it a step further,(but I doubt this will ever happen) hire a couple of low paying Africans as security guards to monitor them.

Would behavior modification by the Guliver staff diffuse some maleviolent behavior by these Africans in Gulivers, I don't know. But just throwing up the white flag incorporating dual pricing to people of color is not what I call a very good solution in my opinion.

On another side note, this coming from a friend living and working in Bangkok for 10 years. He states, most of the Africans living in Bangkok are refugees The UN sanctioned Thailand (with the Thai agreement), as a designated area to displace a percentage of destitute African refugees from their home port to Thailand. The UN supply these refugees welfare (money) for food and lodging. But the money is temporary to last for a short period of time whereupon these African refugees are left on their on to survive. From his understanding there is no structured mechanism in-place by the UN to return these refugees back to their homeland unless of-course they commit some criminal act which causes the Thai govt to expel them from their country. I have no proof of this claim, so take it for what it's worth.

Tom.

Archived