Travel - agony and ecstasy ..

gobbledonk

Hi All,

After what seems like an eternity, I am about 16 hours from wheels down in BKK, some 7 months after last clapping eyes on the place. While I look forward to getting out of the cab in familiar surroundings, I dont look forward to the period between now and then. Even when I've flown Business Class, its a tedious experience.

Yeah, I know - take it like a man, if it was a boat you'd be on it for four weeks, etc etc - I'm soft, no question, but I'd be a lot happier if they anaesthatised you for the duration. :smirk:

If this seems like the bleatings of a nancy boy, wait till I have to return .... :clown:

Gobble

PS I dont know how members like SD cope with constant long haul - even the short hops I took in and out of Thailand on my last trip annoyed me.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

on my 10-20 long hauls per year (i call everything over 8 hours a long haul), i do

sleep minimum 6 hours (with red wine as my "sleeping pills")

watch one new movie

work (easy work like doing my emails, reading some reports etc.)

with this, time passes pretty fast and laung hauls have become some sort of routine to me!

Long haul flights? :hmmm:

I drink very heavily before boarding :drunk: (often, sad to say, to the extent that I am not allowed to board, :nono: but those are other stories...), then, once aboard, I drink as much as they'll pour and nefariously take loads of drugs (Xanax, Tamazepan, Depas, Valium, whatever I can get my f*cking hands on).

Lovely. The hours fly by. :beer:

jack :help:

Thanks guys, but I havent had good experiences with alcohol in a pressurised environment :smirk:

End of the day, its nine hours on a plane : compared to some of the epic flights that board members have to endure to get to the LOS (East Coast of the US/Canada seems to about as bad as it gets ..), its a walk in the park. :crazy:

Does anyone else play the '24 hours from now' mental game to deal with a long trip ? Sadly, it rebounds on me when my departure date begins to approach, but thats life when you need to come back to your (increasingly precious ..) job.

Laptop + a new book does it for me....

Long hauls no matter if it is premium economy, economy or business are not a problem for me.

I fly maybe 4-5 long hauls per year but I fly a lot more throughout EU...

I love long hauls as much as I hate the short distance travels (2-5 hours long) across EU.

I'm with gobble....farking hate long hauls. Have to do a few every year and it is a torturous experience for me...I'm a smoker too...

However, I'm also very tall and the seats aren't designed for the likes of me, plus in cattle class some huge fat mountain of a person always sits next to me and encroaches upon my already limited space.

I always drink vast quantities in an attempt to sleep, which I usually achieve during the second movie, only to wake up in extreme pain from the contortions my body has to go through just to sit in one of those lame excuses for a chair.

I flew first class once. It was great, I got drunk and didn't sleep lying down instead. Cost me quite a bit for that wonderful experience.

Flying...farking hate it.

I hate them too, however at least the flights i get these days are direct. Whats worse is having to switch plans in some god-forsaken arabic country. I usually have a couple of beers at the airport then another few on the plane. I also try not to sleep the night before.

Chelseafan (50hours until arrival)

Archived