Travel - agony and ecstasy ..

gobbledonk

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to fly between the U.S. and BKK 3-4 times a year, but since last July, I've been making the trip monthly. I fly with EVA and use their Elite Class (premimum economy) which gives me enough space to sleep. I also make sure to bring 4-5 books with me to keep me occupied for the round trip.

When I can use my miles to upgrade to Premium Laurel Class (business class), all the better, but I have done pretty well jet lag wise even in premium economy. I will not make the trip in regular coach though.

OK - obviously I survived, having arrived Saturday morning : plane got in early and queue at Immigration was the shortest I have ever seen, BUT:

- as I predicted, Australians are still flying for holidays, despite the belt tightening everywhere else. This meant that there was one vacant seat in Economy - the old lady behind me got a good night sleep :)

- I was seated across from a guy who would doze off and start snoring loudly, then wake up shorting when the guy behind him launched into a sneezing fit. Real Laurel and Hardy act, but it meant that I couldnt close my eyes : the combination was like waking up in some kind of ward for people with breathing problems.

- For the first, and possibly only, time in my life I found myself seated next to a gorgeous GTG. Unfortunately, the gorilla seated next to her looked like he had just been released from prison - playing it safe, I didnt say a single word to her for the entire 8.5 hours. Given my past history, probably a good thing. :smirk:

So now I'm in BKK, about to head south, and the woeful exchange rate is absolutely reaming me. I know that the expats who live here dont pay Farang prices, but I struggle to see how anyone can live in BKK on less than 100K, and thats probably closer to 150K for someone with kids. Forget the bars - I'm spending 2K baht a day before I go anywhere near nightlife. It has been a huge shock to Ms Crazypants - she is wondering where the generous, caring man from 2008 has disappeared to. Given the small number of tourists I'm seeing on the streets, I suspect she isnt the only one.

Thanks CTO - not looking very likely given Ms Crazypants specific instructions that if I go to Cowboy she will 'cut it off' ... :(

She and her cadre of ex (?) BGs delight in referring to Cowboy as a place where Farang go to 'f*ck ugly women'. I put my hand up and smiled the first time that one was rolled out, but it doesnt always get the laughs I had hoped for. Tough crowd.

On a more positive note, Chiang Mai is so much better than BKK - I should have come here years ago. Hua Hin was also great - plenty of Falang out in the bar district and no aggro - but I got way too drunk on Thai whiskey and may be banned from going back for 3-5 years. Chumphon is like some kind of time warp - the town itself seems to have electricity and indoor plumbing, but the little village I stayed in as 'Thai' as I've experienced, even more so than Udon. Ms Crazypants rode through town, fat Falang on the back, laughing and waving to everyone - they seemed quite fond of her, so I came to the conclusion that its something in the water combined with generations of cousins being allowed to mate.

Better get back, before she reports a missing ATM.

Gobble

Archived