Travelers' Privacy Protection Act of 2008

zanemay

Although its growing here, I recall being dismayed at all the cctv cameras in Britain.

That would be considered a violation of civil liberties by many Americans.

There are also rules of evidence, etc. that would be in violation of American jurisprudence as well.

All the western countries have laws that others would not consider viable or wanted in their own countries.

That said, the way our country is going, it is getting scary. The problem is if one leaves for more freedom and more civil liberties where could they go?

Steve,

I am in full agreement with you on CCTV's in the UK and this intrusion of privacy is one of the reasons why I would never consider repatriating back there.

The UK has 1% of the worlds population yet 20% of the worlds CCTV Cameras, in excess of 4 Million approx 1 camera for every 14 people, Croydon a suburb of London has more CCTV cameras than NYC, London Metropolitan Ploice operate 200,000 cameras around the capital, in the UK you are likely to be caught on CCTV 300 times per day. Very Orwellian Data Source

As Suadum pointed out, many companies policy now is to travel with a 'dumb' laptop with software installed such as CITRIX that allows the user to log onto company server from anywhere in the world, the company I ised to work for has that policy for all Biz trips to China since about 2005.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
aha, i see little brown people dont count, they dont know any better. pretty racist pov.

This hasn't anything to do with racism. What I meant was to compare countries which have an (more or less) established law system and a decent human rights record (Europe, Japan, e.g.). LOS obviously does not belong to these countries at all, neither other countries in SE Asia nor almost all countries in the Middle East. Of course compared the 1990s the human rights record of some of the first world countries went down in the recent years, especially in the USA. We speak about individual rights and can't be really found in 3rd world pseudo democracies, dictatorships or oligarch regimes.

Here is another issue. Say you have a pic of some BG you banged from Soi Cowboyo and she looks far younger than her 21 years. How do you prove she is not under age if you are asked about it?

You could even have the pic of the little boy you sponsor for some charity. The one you send money to via an organization in Africa or Asia.

Think of the expense to have to prove your innocence?

First to World Fun. Thank you for the "Welcome Back." I don't post much any more, but I still do what I do in Pattaya, same as ever, supporting a significant part of the population of Issan. :crazy: Bit I think that my biggest accomplishment is that in 8 years I haven't been run over while crossing the road. Just winged a few times.

Responding to Mr. Hot Chocolate, I will say: Don't carry anything through US Customs. This last time in LOS I bought the book "The Girl in the Picture" which follows the life a little Vietnamese girl, now a woman, who was the subject of a very famous photo. She was perhaps 5/6 years old, running on a road, towards the camera, crying and naked because her clothes have been burned off. We have all seen the picture. Because it is on the cover of the book I left the book in LOS. You can never tell what Customs guy might have a bug up his ass on what particular day. Never mind that the child is on fire. I've answered plenty of their invasive questions already. I'll finish the book when I go back.

To the poster that challenged my experience to say that US Customs is most vicious. He asked if I had entered the Middle East lately. I have not and I fully take your very valid point. Just poking around online one time I found something interesting about traveling to Dubai in UAW, a very popular destination for professional athletes and celebrities. Here is UAE policy: "Any visitors traveling on a passport that has any type of visa or entrance stamp to Israel, please note that you will not be permitted to enter Dubai. The same applies obviously to all Israelian nationals." So exactly how is it that Tiger Woods and other top golf and tennis players allow themselves to go there when they exclude Israelis? Lots of money, I know, but something is wrong there.

I appreciate all the input on this post. :worship:

Zane May

Guest lazyphil

mekong has just pointed out he wont live in the uk for human rights issues (orwellian society) and lives in los and ME. this suggests that this 1st world 3rd world comparison is bunk. the 3rd reich was only 60 odd years ago. british empire 100 plus years ago. human rights are a tempory veil in our so called 1st world societys. when this depression kicks in europe all this sandel wearing chunky sweater liberalism we're bogged down with will disapear like a morning spring mist.

Here is another issue. Say you have a pic of some BG you banged from Soi Cowboyo and she looks far younger than her 21 years. How do you prove she is not under age if you are asked about it?

You could even have the pic of the little boy you sponsor for some charity. The one you send money to via an organization in Africa or Asia.

Think of the expense to have to prove your innocence?

First to World Fun. Thank you for the "Welcome Back." I don't post much any more' date=' but I still do what I do in Pattaya, same as ever, supporting a significant part of the population of Issan. :crazy: Bit I think that my biggest accomplishment is that in 8 years I haven't been run over while crossing the road. Just winged a few times.

Responding to Mr. Hot Chocolate, I will say: Don't carry anything through US Customs. This last time in LOS I bought the book "The Girl in the Picture" which follows the life a little Vietnamese girl, now a woman, who was the subject of a very famous photo. She was perhaps 5/6 years old, running on a road, towards the camera, crying and naked because her clothes have been burned off. We have all seen the picture. Because it is on the cover of the book I left the book in LOS. You can never tell what Customs guy might have a bug up his ass on what particular day. Never mind that the child is on fire. I've answered plenty of their invasive questions already. I'll finish the book when I go back.

To the poster that challenged my experience to say that US Customs is most vicious. He asked if I had entered the Middle East lately. I have not and I fully take your very valid point. Just poking around online one time I found something interesting about traveling to Dubai in UAW, a very popular destination for professional athletes and celebrities. Here is UAE policy:[b'] "Any visitors traveling on a passport that has any type of visa or entrance stamp to Israel, please note that you will not be permitted to enter Dubai. The same applies obviously to all Israelian nationals."[/b] So exactly how is it that Tiger Woods and other top golf and tennis players allow themselves to go there when they exclude Israelis? Lots of money, I know, but something is wrong there.

I appreciate all the input on this post. :worship:

Zane May

Because of this, USA citizens are allowed 2 passports to avoid this problem.

Archived