3rd party soft ware for Mac...

Old Hippie

Toast titanium...make DVD "images" (similar to ISO's on a PC)...mount them in toast, Apple DVD player will kick in and you can watch full screen with handy moveable controls. Create the DVD images, keep them on your hard drive etc.

You can even encrypt the images!

Toast version 10 recently released...available at your friendly local BT sites...or you can buy it...it's worth it. I know the guy who writes this app...distantly...best DVD/CD image mounting/making software for Mac imho. Used it since version 2.

Done...now how do I use it? basically, I want to be able to copy DVD/CDs to other disks and or ipods.

Handbrake is awesome. The way you use it is pretty self-explanatory, I think...there are presets on the right side (Lo-Rez iPod, Hi-Rez iPod, etc.)...basically you rip your DVD and then just move it to your iPod via iTunes...though warning, make sure you use one of the iPod presets or your iPod won't recognize it unless you re-export it to iPod format in Quicktime Pro...anyway, if you have problems e-mail me privately...

Oh yeah, the other thing is, Handbrake automatically defaults to the longest (in time) video on your disc, but you can use the pulldown menu to choose whichever track (or chapters within a track) to encode, if that's your goal...you may need to fiddle with this depending on what type of DVD you're ripping (for instance, on a concert DVD there might be several videos you want, of roughly equal length...)

It is doing something to a por...er "art disk" now. Seems to be taking forever. I did check the ipod box as this where I want it to end up.

So if I want to just store a dvd on the laptop hard drive, what do I need to do? And then how do I burn it to another disk?

BTW, Thanks to all.

Archived