What are the current options for wireless broadband internet access in LOS?

mongatu

I'm finally going to be making it back to Pattaya for several month visit and I will be wanting to get wireless broadband internet access for my laptop.

Any advice on what is available, speeds, cost, would be much appreciated. Basically, what is the best service for the money?

EDGE is pretty good speed these days peaking out around the 200kbps in 'practical conditions' be it True, DTAC or AIS makes little difference these days!

However proximity to the nearest cell tower means everything so if you're too far you'll only 1/10th of that or less!

In Pathumwan (Siam-Chitlum area) AIS 3G now covers wider & wider almost daily offering their HSPA up to 7.2Mbps, but practically 1-2Mbps just like typical ADSL.

public WIFI? yes sure whereever one finds himseld in a hotspot that's great, but ones condo/home usually is not one of those places unless as said the building owner has installed it ;)

Good luck!

WiMax has been in some trials here. As munchie said you can set up your own wireless at home after buying good broadband. No idea who has good broadband in Pattaya.

OR

You can find a fav bar/restaurant that has free wifi for customers

OR

You can get AIS/DTAC/True Edge etc service for either per hour or per month or limited amount.

err - ipstar isn't wireless per say. It's a rather revolutionary VSAT solution.

If your in a area with nothing ipstar works well and is cheap compared to nothing or traditional vsat.

Also ipstar work in Vietnam with WiMax trials and did some work here in wimax. 1 trial in Chaing Mai one lab trial in Bangkok.

You will also see the company I work for listed in the pages you linked above ;)

i thought definition of wireless includes all solution with "no wire" in opposite to other solutions where you are wired to the datasource like dial up, ISDN, ADSL, VDSL, internet through TV cables or electricity cables. so why should internet from a satellite not be "wireless"?

Archived