Aussie dumbass granted Royal pardon

drogon

but the members living there who systematically spit on the system and then take the moral high grounds.....you are a bunch of cowards because you are part of the system and don't dare act against it......

Well that go me back.

I hope that comment wasn't directed at me?? I have been pretty clear here and, yes, elsewhere about my opposition to the law. What I find dispicable, and I have seen it here, is when Westerners (or anyone else for that matter) use another Westerner's opposition to this law to suggest that that Westerner has, himself, violated the LM law and acted in subversion of Royal Institutions. We've seen it happen elsewhere and on this on the very board.

That is the real cowardice. Quite frankly, some of the comments I have read are embarassing. Have these guys lost their moral compass or they just trying to brown nose?

Maybe we should make that a thread - Farang brown nosers in Thailand?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gadfly -> when I have a problem with another board member -> I direct my comments at him so no, the rant wasn't directed at you just at the numerous foreigners bitching against LOs but who wouldn't leave the "paradise"....

When I posted this thread I meant to the luck a moron got.

A moron simply because many moons ago I read some news and extracts "from the novel to be" coming from this man....who is not someone who stands against an abusive law but rather a stupid guy.

Gadfly: If you were to parade through BKK while distributing leaflets listing all the negative aspects which make LOS un-democratic then you get jailed for this

-> I would be one of the first to contact all the people I know so you could be released....

Simply because you had the guts to stand and claim your freedom of speach.

Up to you if you find Nicolaides-san being an exciting subject.

Judging from pictures he doesn't look too promising in the fun department though...

Harry exciting? I wouldn't go quite that far. He's certainly a case study in how to get things wrong in Thailand.

I thought Burt Reynolds was great in 'Boogie Nights' BTW.

You didn't get my not so subtle ironic logic:

You said that the reason for discussing Harry instead of the issues of principle is that the latter subject is so boring. So then I conclude that discussing Harry is more exciting. Am I clear now?

just at the numerous foreigners bitching against LOs but who wouldn't leave the "paradise"....

Gadfly: If you were to parade through BKK while distributing leaflets listing all the negative aspects which make LOS un-democratic then you get jailed for this

-> I would be one of the first to contact all the people I know so you could be released....

Simply because you had the guts to stand and claim your freedom of speach.

Aren't you contradicting yourself? First you state that foreigners critical to LOS should leave instead of critizing,then you are willing to support a guy who critizes in stead of leaving...

You didn't get my not so subtle ironic logic:

You said that the reason for discussing Harry instead of the issues of principle is that the latter subject is so boring. So then I conclude that discussing Harry is more exciting. Am I clear now?

I got it OK. But your conclusion is flawed. I just don't think 'exciting' is necessarily the opposite of 'boring'. 'Interesting' is the word I'd have used in that context. And, in the cause of clarification, that's only my reason, not the reason for discussing Harry instead of discussing the issues of principle. Others may have other reasons.

How is the discussion going BTW?

I never said (contrary to some others) that foreigners who are not happy with Thai laws should leave....-> otherwise all expats would be encouraged to leave

During my years as an expat in LOs I wasn't happy with quite a few laws but I didn't leave.

I don't support him, I just try to be objective

So this all really about your personal dislike of this guy, and you don't won't others commenting about this dumbass law or how it was applied here? .

I think, that what is reflected in some posts is simply, that because this guy was such a dumb ass, agenda driven or not, that he fell foul of the law. Rightly or wrongly, that is how people see it.

If this was a law, broken in a western country, it would go in front of a jury (by reason it is a crime, not merely an offence), and people, not unlike a sample representation of this forum, would judge this person. His character, actions and mannerisms would all be evaluated and they would reach their verdict. Hence, regardless if it was in Thailand or the west, a similar verdict would more than likely be reached.

Moving onto to a discussion as to the law itself.

You say you want a serious discussion on the law of LM. As some prudent forum writers have already stated, discussion on the topic, is in itself dangerous and therefore, there commentary maybe somewhat, stifled. However, another common thread that is apparent is, if you dare suggest you don't have any argument with the LM laws, you are reviled as being unenlightened, or living in the dark ages or it needs to be explored at a much deeper level. On point, is my earlier comment; "The evolution of morals is questionable in the first place".

As to a thread being hijacked or side tacked, well, it is not a too uncommon event in regards to forums, and that's a part of everyday life. It can be somewhat disappointing if you have a keen interest in the subject matter.

Archived