Aussie dumbass granted Royal pardon

drogon

The laws have been included in EVERY constitution of Thailand. This tells me the guy is an ignorant prat, which is sort of what I figured.

Maybe. He's a young guy...no idea what his motives are or how well connected he is. I haven't been following the case too closely. The media are only interested in Harry the Clown. I'm just telling you that's the defence he's using. I guess they don't want to put him in jail because he might attract a following....or get pushed in the septic tank.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The laws have been included in EVERY constitution of Thailand. This tells me the guy is an ignorant prat, which is sort of what I figured.

Or it conflicts with other provisions of the constitution.

Remember extra-judicial killings are unconstitutional but it didn't prevent 3000 murders of drug suspects.

I might have misread some comments here but should a person's character, if he he is dumb, an asshole or a moron be of any relevance in a discussion about the relevance or severity of a penalty? Nice guys can go free, morons should go to jail, right?

I thought the idea of a the legal system in a democracy is equality under the law.

Aside from this: how many posters actually know the guy enough to judge his character - or have even met him? As to me I have expressed little sympathy for the attitude he has revealed at some point, but that is as much I can say without knowing the guy personally.

Secondly: some people argue that Harry knew what he was doing when he broke this law. Are we sure about that? Can we be sure about exactly where the line between insult and objective discussion is drawn? One thing is obvious and widely discussed here and that is that certain groups have exploited this ambiguity in order to frame their opponents, sometimes to the point that even indirect targets in a discussion is branded as illegitimate: somebody got accused of LM for criticism of teachers in a Royal College - just because it was Royal (correct me if I misunderstood this case).

Thirdly, it is quite obvious that the Australian government was under so strong pressure by public domestic opinion in this case that it was prepared to push it even to the point of risking optimal relations with an important Asian country.

On the Thai side, some people obviously also have understood that such a blatantly disproportionate - read unfair - penalty would risk the country's image in the eyes of the public in a country which is also very important to the Thais. And indirectly in the rest of the demoratic world.

This case and its resolution has been widely reported, up in the far corners of Europe. People - except some hardcore Bangkok expats obviously - have take note and given it some thoughts.

I might have misread some comments here but should a person's character, if he he is dumb, an asshole or a moron be of any relevance in a discussion about the relevance or severity of a penalty?

In this case yes. The title of the thread is Aussie dumbass granted royal pardon. It's debatable how relevant his activities are to the actual lese majeste laws.

As has been mentioned there are Thais protesting the laws who are much more relevant but they don't get the media attention. Harry is just a bad-mannered opportunist who has probably done their cause more harm than good.

For some reason the media has chosen to portray him as a fearless campaigner for free expression but the truth is a little different...

http://www.crikey.com.au/Politics/20090122-Stranger-than-fiction-who-the-f-ck-is-Harry-Nicolaides.html

If I was going to work in Australia and decide to break some laws (I am sure some laws in Asutralia prohibits insulting/attacking the PM) then claim I am a freedom campaigner -> I am not sure Aussies would appreciate....

If the article chuckwoww posted is accurate...then it would just confirm on the blog of this moron some months ago....

Sad that people like him get "lucky".

The law being backward or not is irrelevant, but the fact a moron like this breaks a law and then is hailed as a hero....

Will stop contributin/paying Reporters Without Borders......

I do really hope he is now persona non grata in LOS -> because I would hate meeting this thing..

PS: About fair/unfair...

I find far more unfair some tourists in transit in a sandpeople country's airport being arrested and thrown in jail (+ possibly death sentence and other harsh punishments for drug trafficking) who in fact had some tiny traces of canabis on their bags/clothes....

About HM: I don't know in Australia but back in EU every tourist guide/website about Thailand has a page which says -> respect the monarchy...

Anyway, I am tired and bored talking about a thing like this...the world is so unfair, plenty of honest hard working people losing their jobs, starving etc...and the medias focus their attention on such a useless and unsignificant scumbag

Archived