Street food making me sick!

AloyMak

"Anyway, why else would one eat SF other than due to budgetary restrictions?"

Late night, nothing open, and hungry, or, out with a hungry Thai lass who begs to stop and have a bite. Or, sitting outside a Soi Cowboy bar having a smoke and smelling those damn chicken pita wraps that smell so good.

But these days at least one can grab a sandwich at -gag- Subway late at night. I've eaten my share of those cheeseburgers outside the alley at Nana Plaza too. Thing is, I never know if it was the food, or the copious amounts of booze that set my stomach off. :-)

Agree with BT though about the street vendor cleanliness. I've sat and watched them washing the dishes in a bucket of very dubious looking water in the Suk soi gutter, while the rats run along the gutter and sidewalk from one sewer drain to another and a scabby flea ridden soi mutt lay right beside the dishwater plastic bucket. Not a very sanitary place to eat really I thought quite a few times to myself as I pushed my plate away and drank more beer Sing or Leo while waiting for the tilac of the evening to finish eating her 'whatever-the-fuck-that-is'.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Late night, nothing open, and hungry, or, out with a hungry Thai lass who begs to stop and have a bite. Or, sitting outside a Soi Cowboy bar having a smoke and smelling those damn chicken pita wraps that smell so good.

But these days at least one can grab a sandwich at -gag- Subway late at night. I've eaten my share of those cheeseburgers outside the alley at Nana Plaza too. Thing is, I never know if it was the soi food, or the copious amounts of booze that set my stomach off. :-)

Agree with BT though about the street vendor cleanliness. I've sat and watched them washing the dishes in a bucket of very dubious looking water in the Suk soi gutter, while the rats run along the gutter and sidewalk from one sewer drain to another and a scabby flea ridden soi mutt lay right beside the dishwater plastic bucket being used. 'Not a very sanitary place to eat really' I thought quite a few times to myself as I pushed my plate away and drank more beer Sing or Leo while waiting for the tilac of the evening to finish eating her 'whatever-the-fuck-that-is'.

But these days at least one can grab a sandwich at -gag- Subway late at night. I've eaten my share of those cheeseburgers outside the alley at Nana Plaza too. Thing is, I never know if it was the soi food, or the copious amounts of booze that set my stomach off. :-)

Agree with BT though about the street vendor cleanliness. I've sat and watched them washing the dishes in a bucket of very dubious looking water in the Suk soi gutter, while the rats run along the gutter and sidewalk from one sewer drain to another and a scabby flea ridden soi mutt lay right beside the dishwater plastic bucket being used. 'Not a very sanitary place to eat really' I thought quite a few times to myself as I pushed my plate away and drank more beer Sing or Leo while waiting for the tilac of the evening to finish eating her 'whatever-the-fuck-that-is'.

i have had "street food" hundreds of time and never had any issue!

but you have to be selective!

certainly on the corner of suk soi 11 i would not eat anything!

just walk about 150 meters into Soi 11, where the Taxes Office is, Dozens of staff

eat there everyday. Sometimes i do too, never had a problem.

But it is advisable to check first, where we eat.

This is my fourth trip to LOS and I've never had this problem before. Now' date=' three times after eating street food I've had to camp out near a toilet for the next 24 hours. Each time it's been on the corner of Soi 11 (where I ate, not where I poo'd). I admit it is pretty goofy to have eaten there the third time but that's what it took to convince me it was the food!

Anyone else have problems with the food from that corner?[/quote']

Have you ever watched how the street vendors wash their dishes? Do you ever see them use hot water? Detergent?

Do you ever see street merchants wash their hands?

Have you ever noticed some Thais are predisposed with their nose? Especially when they use their finger(s) to pry out what ever they are digging for?

Why do you think the restaurants are any better? They could be worse. :yikes:

i have had "street food" hundreds of time and never had any issue!

but you have to be selective!

certainly on the corner of suk soi 11 i would not eat anything!

just walk about 150 meters into Soi 11' date=' where the Taxes Office is, Dozens of staff

eat there everyday. Sometimes i do too, never had a problem.

But it is advisable to check first, where we eat. [/quote']

Just a little further north is a street vendor that seems to be a lot cleaner then some of the other vendors where I have noticed they cook/steam the rice using charcoal.

This is my fourth trip to LOS and I've never had this problem before. Now' date=' three times after eating street food I've had to camp out near a toilet for the next 24 hours. Each time it's been on the corner of Soi 11 (where I ate, not where I poo'd). I admit it is pretty goofy to have eaten there the third time but that's what it took to convince me it was the food!

Anyone else have problems with the food from that corner?[/quote']

Have you ever watched how the street vendors wash their dishes? Do you ever see them use hot water? Detergent?

Do you ever see street merchants wash their hands?

Have you ever noticed some Thais are predisposed with their nose? Especially when they use their finger(s) to pry out what ever they are digging for?

Why do you think the restaurants are any better? They could be worse. :yikes:

You got a point.

I eat sometimes at soi 5 Foodaland where you can see they wash the dishes and rinse them off. There is a degree of cleanlness. A few years ago, the Thai government tried getting the street vendors to be a little bit more cleaner.

I was with one Thai woman one day and she got unbelievably sick from eating at a street vendors stall. The vendor was just about ready to pack it in for the day when she bought the food.

When I was at home, we dranked raw milk. To us, it tasted real good. To visitors, it gave them the shits. Raw milk is milk that is loaded with lots of bacteria. Same problems happens when some people go to Mexico and eat the food. I look at street food as being in some cases like the food small children eat when they drop their food on the floor and then pick it up and it eat. If your system can handle it, no problem. But if your system can't, exect to be sick.

I do not go on vacation to hug a toilet ,

so I am careful what I eat ,

I bring peanut butter , cookies and a few other things from home and get bread etc at Foodland Soi 5 ,

If I was to live in BKK , I would probably change my ways , eat local food , get sick a few days and hopefully get over it,

But with only a week or 2 visit I am not going to take the chance.

Others may have a stronger stomach , good for them , but this works for me.

Dave

Archived