Street food making me sick!

AloyMak

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like street food, I always go for the busy one, and I prefer the charcoal grilled stuff, sometimes getting them to cook it more or longer.

And your belly flora and fauna adjusts in my opinion.

The worst cases of food poisoning I've had were from Love Scene restaurant (adjacent Soi Cowboy) twice and Thai Airways out bound twice.

cheers

Coss

The worst cases of food poisoning I've had were from Love Scene restaurant (adjacent Soi Cowboy) twice and Thai Airways out bound twice.

cheers

Coss

Good (or bad) to know someone else is encountering bad food on outbound Thai Airways flights.

My worse case of food poisoning (2)...

1. Canada, ate a pizza, drove down the road about 5 miles about had to pull over to expell said pizza.

2. In the USA, Virginia, in a Taiwanese / Japanese place, the fish soup got me. Put me down for three days!

So far (knocking on my wooden head), never sick outside of North America, anywhere!

I love to eat in those 40 baht/meal plastic chair places sometimes. The Thai food is usually better than in tourist restaurants but ofcourse the places look dirty and they are, the hygiene is definitely not up to European standards. I guess my system is adopted to local bacteria a little already. I get the shits sometimes but the worst food poisoning I've experienced in Thailand came after I had eaten farang food few days in a row.

It just makes me laugh sometimes when people tell me they got a food poisoning there or there. It takes from few hours up to 48 hours to get the symptoms so without taking samples from the places and do some lab testing you never can be sure where you got the bacteria.

I had food poisoning twice in Thailand. One came from a tuna club sandwich, and the other from a sea food meal prepared by people living in my block celebrating new year. That last one kept me on the toilet for three days with stomach cramps, excessive vomiting and a violent case of the shits. I missed my outbound flight because of that.

I still like to eat street food and at hole in the wall restaurants, but I only eat there if they prepare the food on the spot, and the meats are stored on ice.

I lived on street food during my year long stay in Thailand and never ever got sick on the food. Am curious to know why so many people seem adverse to eating at food stalls now, when only a couple of years back most board members didn't seem to have problems with it. Street food rules if you know where to eat.

Reminds me of the large grocery store - food market - supermarket - in Chiang Mai I shopped.

Nice modern newer large store.

They had the meats in the back in the open refrigerated shelves - cellophane wraped - like one sees everywhere.

But in the aisles, were open top refridgeratored bins full of meats and poultry products. No cellophane wrappings. Just bins full of loose meats - pork - chicken. And the locals were all sticking their hands in these open bins pawing through all the meats/poultry to find the 'right' piece. How hygenic is that?

Archived