From Imm. B visa to tourist visa

So, as I understand things, if I fly out and back in on the same day... say June 29, I would be eligible for a two months visa?

No

Out and back in one day will only get you 30 Days VOA. For Two months you will need to apply for a tourist visa which will take 2 days as dddave previously mentioned.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My Thai wife is of the illusion that as we are legally married (thai/registered) there may be a special visa allowing me to stay. Of course I told her she was daft.

Your Thai wife is correct, you are entitled to Non-Imm "O" visa which is marriage visa.

Again this needs a 2 day trip overseas and you will need copies of your Marriage Certificate, this will get you a 90 day single entry visa. When the visa has less than 60 days to run report to immigration for an extension to 12 months. Supporting documents required are Marriage Papers, Proof of Address, a few photos of you and the wife and home plus a letter from the bank showing a balance of at least 400,000 THB.

This is exactly what I did last year after my Non-Imm "B" was cancelled, flew to Singapore in Sept appled for extension in Nov and was awarded it in Dec. Another thing, holding a Non-Imm "O" also allows you to hold a Work Permit to work legaly in Thailand if you so wish to do so.

What Mekong said was correct but if you did'nt want to go down that route you can also do a quick trip to your home country and get a multiple entry Non Imm O valid for 12 months but you need to do a visa run every 90 days. When I got mine I needed to show marriage certificate (they actually wanted a photocopy) and a photocopy of the wife's Thai ID card.

Simie.

Simie,

Just out of curiosity how long ago was it that you took this route? 6-7 years ago I was able to get a 12 month multi non-imm o using marriage cert from ex wife in Penang but they closed this loophole in early 2003 and only issued single entry 90 day extendable with wife / 400K or proof of income.

The advantage of extending in kingdom as you correctly noted is that 90 day reporting can be done at local immigration office, and is only a requirent if you have not left in the previous 90 days!

Since I left the MNC I am now working freelance and fully legit in Thailand. My offshore company is based in British Virgin Islands, the Registered Thai Company is owned by my wife and her family, we have 4 "on paper" employees curtesy of the accountant and the 2 Millo paid up capital is more thsn covered by property value. I funnel 100K / Month through the holding company which is enough to pay me minimal Thai salary for work permit and renewal of non-immigration o visa and pay the accountant 3500 / month for employees and PP30 (VAT) returns. Running at minimal profit company tax is 1000 / month.

Not only WP but I also pay tax and social stamps, have tax ID card which gets me local price at National Parks etc and is acceptable as proof of ID to BiB.

Best move I ever made, the hardest part was finding an accountant in Thailand savie enough to set it all up to my requirements, my old mum was a chartered accountant in the UK before she retired and I learned these tricks from her, always listen to mother!

Mekong, my info might be a touch out of date? As I've lived back in the U.K a few years now. But I was under the impression its still the same? If your way works for you then stick with it. And also I never had to have a work permit as when I stayed in Thailand I did'nt work there. I used to travel back and forth quite a bit and so the multiple entry Non Imm O worked for me as I could travel and stay for up to 90 days without having to bother with visa arrangements each time.

Simie.

All3 info are correct IMO:

@CTO->converted Non Imm (B) visa to 1Y extension of stay (Thai wife) in country - Yes I did that too lasy year no questions asked & it's according latest immi info.

@Mekong->Yes only 90day single entry Non Imm issued (at most) Asian (non home) embassies/consulates. I got one such (B) last year in SG although hoping for 1Y/multiple backed up with company docs!

@Simie?->Yes by going to country of nationality one should be able to qualify for a 1Y O/B visa still.

Cheers!

Archived