From Imm. B visa to tourist visa

I will probably hang up my working boots this year and head back to Australia. My Imm. B visa expires on June 30 but I'll probably want to hang around for a bit to tie up loose ends and whatnot. My question is ...would I be in a position to secure a tourist visa ( eg. a flight to neighburing capital and back again)? When would be the best day to do this and how long would I have to remain out of Thailand i.e. can I fly out and then back in on the same day? Would the tourist visa be valid for two months? I would appreciate any accurate advice. :(:dunno::beer:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can fly in and out same day and get a 30 day entry permit at the Airport. Land crossings are giving only 15 day permits.

You can go to a neighboring country and apply for a tourist visa but that is always a 2 day process: day one, put in the application before noon, day 2: pick up the passport with new visa in the afternoon.

Most Embassy's are only issuing 60day, single entry tourist visas. Cost is B1000 (except this month, they are free 'till April 5) This can be extended by an additional 30 days at any Thai Immigration office: B2000.

Double entry tourist visa's (good for six months with 2 extensions) are currently available in Vientiane, Laos.

You should get 90 days with each entry on the B visa (assuming a multi-entry). So the easiest thing to do is just do a border run a day or two before the visa expires. Voila, 90 more days before you need to worry.

Cheers,

SD

SD my old China,

Not often I disagree with you but I will call you in this instance. For a start exit / re-entry permit is not specificaly related to the visa, if one stays in Thailand for the duration of 12 months on a Non-Imm "B" there is no requirement for a multi re-entry just the 90 days reporting.

Secondly once the contract between the employee on the Non-Imm "B" and the Sponsor (employer) has been terminated the Non-Imm "B" visa is only valid for another seven days after the Work Permit is cancelled, not withstanding validity of visa or when the time of last reporting / arrival in Thailand was. I went through this last August when my contract expired with my previous employer, I landed back in BKK late July 08 my contract expited on the 15 August and my Non-Imm "B" was cancelled 7 days later, an employer will get the employee off the books as soon as possible to save on tax and Social payments.

In my case back then I jumped in the motor and drove to poipet (back in the 30 days time) for a border run, even though I was married we had never registered at city hall, that gave us time to get the paperwork in order to register marriage and then pop down to SG for my Non-Imm "O"

Back to the OP

7 Days after End of Contract

21 Days (15+7-1) If make a land border run in a day

36 Days (30+7-1) If make a flight visa run in a day

67 Days (60+7) if you leave to make a tourist visa, as dddave said this can be extended for a further 30 days if required.

SE Asian Thai embasseys are used to seeing applications from farang expats for other visa types upon cancellation of Non-Imm "B", in my experoence I have not known of any people who I have worked with being turned down a visa application to tie up the loose ends same as yourself.

Proof of an "On-Going" Flight is still an immigration requirement as far as I know, but tends only to be applied to people from certain countries, proof of sufficient funds (existing Thai Bank Account, Credit Card etc) to pay for flight out is usualy enough proof for farangs if challenged, which in itself is a rarity.

Your's is different than mine then. My B-visa is a multi-entry, requiring a country exit every 90 days. But, as I said, if you leave on the 364th day of visa validity, you get another 90 days of entry stamp.

Nothing to do with a work permit. I don't know how that affects things -- since I do not work in LoS, I don't have one of those.

Cheers,

SD

SD,

Noted, but since experiences are closer related to what the OP will be going thru, ie working in Thailand on a sponsored Non-Imm "B" as opposed to your self held one from your overseas company perhaps my comments are more relevent :neener:

Tugging your Chain!

Archived