Thai Coffee ...

gobbledonk

Yes, Coffee is grown in Thailand, mainly in the north. Some deal where they got opium farmers to switch crops or something. It is good stuff and readily available in Foodland etc.

I agree, Lao coffee and the coffee in Vietnam are supreme! I brought some Vietnamese coffe home, not cheap by any means, but very very rich in flavor!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, Lao coffee and the coffee in Vietnam are supreme! I brought some Vietnamese coffe home, not cheap by any means, but very very rich in flavor!

I bought a lot of Vietnamese coffee and several of the small Vietnamese drip coffee makers that sit on top of the cup. To my taste, they make a better cup of coffee than many of the B40,000+ coffee makers that several friends proudly fuss over.

I have tried many types of locally produced Thai coffee beans but so far non have matched the rich flavor and nuttiness of the Vietnamese roasts.

According to an article I recently read, the Viet's big problem is consistency and quality control.

Yes, Coffee is grown in Thailand, mainly in the north. Some deal where they got opium farmers to switch crops or something. It is good stuff and readily available in Foodland etc.

Lots of coffee beans drying along the roads around Surat Thani.

• 4 months later...
First, I am not a connoisseur, but I like to think I know the difference between a good cup of coffee and something that just doesnt make the grade: its a combination of the person making it (ok, the 'Barista' ..) and the quality and freshness of the beans : to date, I have had very few cups of coffee in Thailand that would even register in a town like Melbourne, where generations of Europeans have set a very high standard. Starbucks, Black Canyon - forget the franchises - whatever it is, they arent doing it right, IMO. I get most of my takeaway coffee from a small place near work, but the standard here in Brissie is generally pretty ordinary.

You can imagine my surprise a fortnight ago when Ms Crazypants dad bought out a coffee in a tiny little Espresso cup and sat if before me. CP's friend and the only other English speaker said 'You probably wont like this - its Thai coffee', but it was superb. Strong, smooth and not a trace of the bitter aftertaste that way too many store-bought coffees suffer from.

I suspect that part of the attraction was the fact that it was totally unexpected, but does anyone know more about 'Thai' coffee ?

Thai coffee is still a young industry compared to our neighbors {Laos,Vietnam,Indonesia}. Developing very decent strains these days. Today one can almost find real Thai coffee beans in your local market place....reminds me alot to Kona as it tends to be mild. Up along Petchabun and the uplands east of Khon Kaen are the older ares. New to the scene are Nan & Loei, Mae Hong Son and Pai, as well as many areas of Chiang Rai Province......the closer you are to the source the better the product will be.

• 1 month later...

Best lao Coffee is Mountain brand. The trouble is the other brands often sit on the shelf for months, but th guy who runs the Mountain brand refreshes the stock in the shops he serves every few weeks.

Thai coffee, I like the Aroma brand expresso, the best I found so far. But don't buy it at Villa, very expensive, Friendship Supermarket sells it for 2/3 of the Villa price.

Archived