Thai Coffee ...

gobbledonk

First, I am not a connoisseur, but I like to think I know the difference between a good cup of coffee and something that just doesnt make the grade: its a combination of the person making it (ok, the 'Barista' ..) and the quality and freshness of the beans : to date, I have had very few cups of coffee in Thailand that would even register in a town like Melbourne, where generations of Europeans have set a very high standard. Starbucks, Black Canyon - forget the franchises - whatever it is, they arent doing it right, IMO. I get most of my takeaway coffee from a small place near work, but the standard here in Brissie is generally pretty ordinary.

You can imagine my surprise a fortnight ago when Ms Crazypants dad bought out a coffee in a tiny little Espresso cup and sat if before me. CP's friend and the only other English speaker said 'You probably wont like this - its Thai coffee', but it was superb. Strong, smooth and not a trace of the bitter aftertaste that way too many store-bought coffees suffer from.

I suspect that part of the attraction was the fact that it was totally unexpected, but does anyone know more about 'Thai' coffee ?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's fine for me that Starbucks et al have brought european coffee culture to the masses in USA, Australia and Asia.

now i can drink a half way decent coffee also at those places! but i never go into a Starbucks back in Europe!

Thai Coffee? you must have been framed! :neener:

ban rie coffee right on the corner of ekamai and sukh has fine, strong thai coffee...so much better than starsucks' homebrew (this, i admit, is not saying much) or most of the other coffee you're served in thailand...

housed in a wacky building...sort of faux alpine lodge meets faux sukhothai-style housing project...go late afternoon when the micro-skirted bangkok uni students come out in force (alas, this month they're on holiday)...also ideal for waiting for bus to leave from ekamai bus terminal across the road...

other than that, i quite like the "cafe boran" from the streetstalls and from the few surviving chinese-style coffee houses scattered around town...

still, none of these places are a match for the cafes in vietnam and, to a lesser extend, lao...

Laos exports coffee. Why wuld Thailand not produce some ?

BB, I suspect that Samak is referring to the practice of packing a certain prohibited substance in coffee grounds to confuse the sniffer dogs at the airport. Given that mention of such things is, itself, prohibited on this board, I'll leave it at that.

still, none of these places are a match for the cafes in vietnam and, to a lesser extend, lao...

Yes, I took some Lao coffee beans home last time and this coffee is great, then a friend gave me a kilo of Vietnamese beans and the coffee made from these is superb, it has an almost chocolate flavour and richness.

Cheers

Coss

There is a small coffee/pastry/ice cream shop in Pattaya, off Soi Beukow, facing the Tuesday/Friday Market at the Pattaya Tai end., that makes the absolutely best coffee I've ever tasted in Thailand. The guy has his own roaster, the prices are right. Downside: full of Euro's so hard to get a seat. Upside more: recently started opening on Saturdays. Note: the ice cream looks good, but it's shite.

Note: the ice cream looks good, but it's shite

I haven't had too many dairy products in Asia that taste like they do in Oz - the butter in hotels is particularly crap. Come to think of it, despite several rural excursions in Thailand, China, Laos, Indonesia and Malaysia, I have yet to see a dairy cow in Asia ....

Archived