Teaching jobs in Aussieland

skirtlifter

One for the Aussie lads I expect.

I am thinking about returning to Australia soon and was wondering what the teaching job situation is like at the moment. Did a brief stint on Groote Eylandt in the N.T. a few years back. Bloody hot, basic living expenses were quite high as most things are shipped in, electricity bills high due to constant use of AC and taxes at about 40%.

Have the salaries increased significantly of late? Is it worth the effort? I would like to secure a position ASAP on my return given the right conditions.

One of the chief reasons for going back are the low wages here in Thailand and the fact I haven't been able to save to see my children (in Oz). I have been supporting a Thai wife and a few of her kiddies for some time so have had little in the way of spare cash.

Appreciate any information. Thanks in advance.

Don't know about regular teaching jobs in Aussieland but I received recently two job offers -> from Aussie schools looking for foreign language teachers, salaries on offer (didn't mind to answer and thus negotiate salary) were between 50k-60K Aussie $....

So I suppose that an Aussie teacher will get slightly less?

Don't know if they were gross or not etc...

(compared to a job in my "niche" in Australia they are around 100-140k Aussi $)

Don't know if it can help you as a comparison base (and no idea what the exchange rate is)

From what I read in the paper WA teachers struck a very good deal before the worldwide downturn. An experienced classroom teacher would be on A$70-80k making them highest paid in Oz.

Promotional positions and teaching in remote areas would earn you more.

The downside: because of the sudden salary improvements many retired teachers were returning to the chalkface filling vacant positions. But if you're flexible there's always a spot somewhere I reckon.

You have to jump through a few bureaucratic hoops plus have a Federal police clearance

:beer:

Archived