Best 15" notebook currently & why?

WorldFun

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah... I'm not a Linux user but my understanding is that the #1 advantage is cost because all the software is free too. With "free" software including O/S available, why Linux? Actually, just about everyone I know who uses Linux is a big computer geek who likes Linux because they can program it to do stuff like lasers shooting out of their laptops to the soundtrack of Empire Strikes Back.

I will spare you the details (ie not bore you) but way back in the days when I was a student I majored in computer science before computing was fashionable.

A simple analogy is most people are happy to buy a stock vehicle off the forecourt whereas a few people like to customise their ride. Why do I play with Linux ... Because I can, or to put it another way based on curent threads its a hobby that keeps me off the alcohol so it works for me, a healthy addiction!

Guest lazyphil

my pc nerd friend built my pc from an old tower from odds and sods in his study room, cost me nothing, him pennies....had 5 years, totally reliable.....needs a bit more space now full of digi pics......i'd like a laptop, simply because i'm tired of all the wires and dust.

what do you recomend for a half decent laptop with a dvd player built in. nothing fancy and expensive......and i'm not bothered if its ms powered. any ideas?

what do you recomend for a half decent laptop with a dvd player built in. nothing fancy and expensive......and i'm not bothered if its ms powered. any ideas?

Dell has good prices on some of their returned/rebuilt lap tops.

Check out the Dell website.

For cheap pricing, go with Dell. IMO.

...but if you travel, lugging the lap top around (like I do), the Dell will literally fall apart. A once a year trip somewhere, it should be OK.

Guest lazyphil

thanks, no plans to take anywhere so dell might be good, just want less clutter....just be able to close and put under the sofa when not in use.

Archived