What Film (Movie) Have You Just Watched?

The_Munchmaster

Twin Peaks, 2017 the TV series, episodes 1 ~ 4.

Well, there’s nowt so queer as folk, on the one hand, but engrossing on the other. A mix of avant-garde cinematic excrescent ejaculation, detective work, and even some humour. Strung together, sort of. I await the 5th and later episodes with interest, but I'll be disappointed if it doesn't coalesce at some point.

Twin Peaks - I might add that in the tradition of talk shows and other shows, finishing with a performance of a musical ensemble, each episode finishes with a number from a different band each time. I particularly liked the spot at the end of episodes 2 and 3, 4 not so much.

Free to air TV - Kevin travels to a desert island in the Pacific to meet a family who've quit the rat race. Grieving her inability to have children, a woman's new friendship with a handsome neighbour jeopardizes her marriage. But sweet girl Chelsea is looking for the man of her dreams after breaking up with her high school sweetheart of six years. Will she find it with a first kiss? Adam decides to use Murray's love of action movies to convince his dad to help him make one. It's the second stage of the contest, with rounds in maths and extraordinary memory, so Gordon Buchanan returns to the Democratic Republic of Congo to discover the fate of his gorilla family. It's a jungle out there for Blu, Jewel and their three kids, after they're hurtled from Rio to the wilds of the Congo to see a town where high school football is the backbone of the community, Sam accuses a player of committing heinous acts against her on a night she can't even remember. Will anyone believe her?

Sorry, I was in a cynical mood, I'd been watching a new Hulu TV series and thought I'd have look as to what was on offer on the free view TV channels and the above piffle, was it.

Meanwhile

The Handmaids Tale - TV series Hulu - a well shot and imagined telling of the Margaret Atwood novel. IMDB says - Set in a dystopian future, a woman is forced to live as a concubine under a fundamentalist theocratic dictatorship.

And it's not just her. Most women are now infertile, which brought on the change in society. the fertile ones are designated "breeders" and seemingly assigned to the rich and powerful to make babies.

I've seen several of the episodes and will watch more, as it's a compelling view. However: there's three parts to my observations.

1. Sometimes it's a bit chick flick, with all the feelings being rabbited on about, but as the subject matter is primarily women, I guess this is bearable.

2. The dystopian future is quite well portrayed, though no sci fi tech advances are in evidence.

3. This future should be and I think that this is the point of the novel, a feminist's worst nightmare, given the treatment of the women. I will make the point that there every third or fourth scene, there are many men being or having been hung, as part of or as the backdrop to the scene. So they're treating men badly too. But the point of it all, is the woman and how she's never gonna forget her previous life/husband/child etc etc.

I recommend this, with the proviso, that it's a little bit touchy feely at times.

Oh, and if you've got a few minutes, the comments in IMDB are quite revealing about the state of mind of the women who (I assume) live in 'merica today....

http://www.imdb.com/...ews?ref_=tt_urv

e.g. "The echoes of resemblance to the United States' current political administration create another layer of exceptionalism. Make no mistake, this is a political work. But it makes its case in a way that, like George Orwell's 1984 reflect our world back at us in a mirror that is both familiar and perverse", and because of it, it is extraordinary.

Ida [2014]

A strikingly powerful film shot entirely black and white to create the feel of 1960s Poland follows the growth of a young orphaned soon to be nun who meets her wayward Aunt from whom she learns her true background. Won the best foreign language film of 2015.

John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017) - Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, stabbing, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, end.