BBC report

Coss

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The truth about poverty in Thailand is also not known by Thaksin. He exploited the situation to his benefits but does give a dman shit about the poor. His latest actions are just selfish and he is willing to sacrifice Thailand for his own benefits.

He must be silenced....otherwise there will be no peace.

The truth about poverty in Thailand is also not known by Thaksin. He exploited the situation to his benefits but does give a dman shit about the poor. His latest actions are just selfish and he is willing to sacrifice Thailand for his own benefits.

The problem is, that contracting a hitman won't do it since the result would probably lead to anarchy in LOS.

For LOS it is a lose-lose situation on short term.

peace for who?

Yeah, that was about what i wrote.

But the ruling "elite" seems to have no clue about poverty at all.

At least Thaksin understood enough to win elections on the poverty platform.

""The red-shirt people allege that Kasit is a terrorist, but Kasit is a diplomat who can benefit our national interests," Suthep said." (quote from another thread).

In Bangkok Post today there is a photo of a somewhat concerned and sheepish looking Thai Foreign Minister.

And he and the whole government have all reasons to look sheepish. Imagine that the second most high ranking member of the government not long time before he was appointed actively supported a grave sabotage act against the Thai nation - the airport seizure - and thus implicitly legitimized the type of action that has now put the government and the whole nation in a terribly embarrassing predicament!

Yeah, that was about what i wrote.

But the ruling "elite" seems to have no clue about poverty at all.

At least Thaksin understood enough to win elections on the poverty platform.

I think that Mr. T. knows very well about the poverty in LOS. That's why he is doing so well exploiting the very poor and the lower class.

Even Mr. T. support for the poor was just a populist Ponzi scheme and does not help the lower class and the farmer long term, those people had some benefits from his politics, while the Dems and all other politicians just ignored them.

As we see Mr. T. politics for the poor was so successful that he is still loved by the masses and able to control them through straw man and phone calls.

There are two separate issues involved here. The problem is Thaksin is using both to his advantage. Some Red Shirt backers - including my university educated wife - says this is about gaining true democracy. Unfortunately, you do not establish democracy by supporting a non-democrat.

p.s. Enough hinting without saying what we shouldn't?

There are two separate issues involved here. The problem is Thaksin is using both to his advantage. Some Red Shirt backers - including my university educated wife - says this is about gaining true democracy. Unfortunately, you do not establish democracy by supporting a non-democrat.

p.s. Enough hinting without saying what we shouldn't?

Thaksin is a classical populist political villain, cleverly manipulating and bringing to the surface the underlying, until recently only latent discontent among the underprivileged.

He must be neutralized, his destructive propaganda activities must be stopped.

But how put the genie that he let out back into the bottle (or was it lamp?)

I don't agree with the suggestion that the urban "elite" see the poor in the same way as colonial powers looked down on the natives, as has been suggested in a previous analysis cited here.

The most important reason why I disagree with this idea is the fact that being Thai is a strong unifying factor, even though the notion of "thainess" is made up for convenience sake by the ruling autocrats. Also poor Thais are Thais and the ruling elite identify themselves as Thais, thus "we are all Thais, and we all adore the same soapie actresses on TV

' (yes the elite love their stars as much as the poor people do, hi-so esthetic taste is not very sophisticated). Ethnicism or nationalism is a very strong unifying force and has tended to be downplayed in the gospel of globalization .

But the rich simply don't see the misery of the poor or don't want to see it. So what is needed when having gotten rid of Thaksin is to open their eyes by forcing matter of facts reforms on them. Land reforms, tax reforms, the opening up for investments from abroad to stimulate competition and growth, the opening up for ideas from advanced countries to bring forward educational and cultural reform, raising, environmental conscieousness, breaking up family monopolies etc. Positive external influences tend to reinforce national culture and identity by vitalizing and not undermine it, whatever the isolationists try to make us believe and fear.

Easier said than done in a country so ingrained with mafia-like interests...But it can be put into action step-by-step, and maybe an enlightened democrat like Abhisit could be the man after all.

If it isn't all to late...

Best would be if normal Bangkok people just come out in force (200,000 or 300,000 or more) and throw the red shirts out of town. Like they did at the Narathiwas Sathorn intersection when some idiots tried to block the road. This would set a clear sign to everybody that enough is enough.

I have been in Pattaya and eye witnessed the drama. I try to talk to some of the â??red shirtsâ?? none could speak English. They are a bunch of uneducated, violent thugs that donâ??t even understand democracy. Their typical quote is Thaksin is rich he is good. Completely different to the yellow shirt middle class protestor of which many spoke decent English and could articulate their cause.

Archived