BBC report

Coss

All my Thai friends are middle class...most of them office workers.

As they all are in their late twenties, early thirties they almost all of them have farmers parents...

Missus: Works full time for her company, which means waking up at 5am (and her condo is next to a subway station and her company just at another subway station) -> then finish work at 6-8pm...

She also has a part time job.

Sister: Graduates from uni (IT engineer) this year, works full time as a boutique manager in one of the high end shopping malls...

So, yes, the middle class is working their asses all day long, for not a big salary by western standards....

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thaksin may have bought the votes of the poor with hard cash but the old guard safeguard their monopoly by fooling the educated classess into believing that they have a god given right to all the wealth merely through an accident of birth.

:banghead: Do you know any middle class Thais at all? It is doubtful given this post.

All the middle class Thais I know (that'd be pretty much my whole group of friends) work very hard (10+ hour days' date=' 6-7 days a week) and live modestly to achieve their standard of living and to be sure their children are well cared for and well educated.

EDIT -- e.g., my GF a) goes to Uni full time, B) works some hours/day in the family business, c) does freelance fashion/jewelry design, d) runs a small food/provision shop for kids a couple of hours a day (she saw a market hole and filled it), and still finds time for me and her friends. She's 23, she doesn't need any money from me. Her friends have similar schedules and drive.

Cheers,

SD[/quote']

SD

Follow the thread and yes I know a lot of middle class Thais you dont have a monopoly on that.

I replied in response to the nonsense spouted by Hardy. There are two sides to this conflict and I have a view opposed to Hardy.

Cheers

:happyeaster:

The truth about poverty in Thailand is also not known by Thaksin. He exploited the situation to his benefits but does give a dman shit about the poor. His latest actions are just selfish and he is willing to sacrifice Thailand for his own benefits.

He must be silenced....otherwise there will be no peace.

Maybe, maybe not. But at least he was a man of action and the people recongised this. He gave small loans to the poor, introduced the medical policy and generally got them on his side.

He also waged the war on drugs, tried to get rid of corruption in the police (failed) and countless other acts.

Love him or hate him, he made things happen.

On a seperate note, I love the way the reds are portrayed as anarchists, yet not a word was said against the PAD when they closed the airports and roads....

There are only two men (IMHO) who can sort this crap out. The King and Thaksin himself.

CF

Go and Join Mentors and Somchai you dont have a fucking clue.

Small Loans were given to buy Cell Phones and Contracts with AIS / Shin Corp a clever way of creaming off Thai Taxpayers money. And dont forget the billions he lent to the Burmese Junta to purchase AIS Hardware.

30 Baht Medical Scheme all hot air never happened.

I love the fact that casual visitors to Thailand have all the answers to the situation.

Guest lazyphil

Hmmmm, does that reasoning....'casual visitors' apply to the Israel/Palastine mess because I dont know if anyone here lives there (let alone casually visits gaza city) because there sure are some arm chair experts on Israel/Palastine who have it all sewn up :easter:

Phil,

If you could find a single post of mine relating to the Isreal/Palestine situation your post may hold some credance but since I am not fully au fait with the situation there I have stayed out of that discussion.

Nice Try Son, you must try harder to discredit me!

Guest lazyphil

i wasn't picking on you (just a general point) but you got my point at least. look at football fans screaming at the widescrean TV/skysports down the boozer swearing and going beserk at the managers choice of players or tactics when possible they last kicked a ball a secondry school or down the rec at 15!

The analysis between armchair observers of Football v Isreal may hold some comparision but the same cannot be said about my comments to CF that you replied to using that analogy, if you had used quick reply you would have replied to Faustie and not me so you made a concious effort to reply to me specificaly.

Like your old Headmaster at School in your end of term report I say to you "Must Try Harder"

Archived