Thailand faces years of unrest, say analysts

Mentors

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(I'm sorry about the formatting. I don't know why the "quote" function isn't working below.)

One big flaw in the argumentation..

Using the argument:

"Maybe of more relevance to this forum: if the Red Shirts get their way, there may be more options for village girls than picking rice and sucking fat farang cocks. Quick, to the barricades!"

-> for most of these girls this is a choice of life

sorry but every single girl I met (no matter the sort of venue) -> entered the industry to make

"big money"....

Because that is their only avenue for making big money. I know a lot of people who became investment bankers to make big money. That option isn't available in Issan.

Most the regular TG I know don't come from middle or hiso...they are daughters of farmers who went to university and got a decent job...

So what's your point? That there's social mobility in Thailand? Those university-educated village girls make salaries 1/10 that of a burger flipper in US/UK/EU (or 1/5 that of a burger flipper in HK or Singapore), and they certainly wouldn't be welcome in most of my Thai friends' homes, other than through the servants' entrance. Where's your equal opportunity and social mobility here?

What pisses me off, no matter who is right or wrong -> violence by a minority (80-100 thousand people are a minority in a country counting more than 60 million people).

This is Thailand. Violence is how stuff gets done. Until recently, it was only one side using violence. I wish I could say more on this forum, but I'm thinking not only of the airport in 2008, but also Thammasat in 1976 (and a bunch of other stuff). Kick a dog hard enough and long enough, and you'll get bitten. Even if you've been telling that dog a story about what a benevolent master you are.

If these people were fighting for more rights:

. They could stop selling their products to the cities -> food especially would seriously wake up the "establishment" and middle class

5555 Stop selling their food? So they'd go hungry, and the cities would buy their food on the international market? (By the way, the limitations on rice exports -- classic kick in the shins to the rural poor.)

They could block all the roads in their hometowns

To show themselves who's boss?

plenty of other ways to make their voices heard but without violence...

They did make their voices heard by voting. Repeatedly. And they were told, repeatedly, that they're not good enough to vote?

Now, they are just being used by one man for his own selfish interests.

I am really biting my tongue, because this is a Thailand-based forum!

Why couldn't these people just wait the next election?

They already won the last one.

Again, to avoid misunderstanding:

I am totally on the side of law and order. Whatever happened four months ago cannot excuse the recent actions by the red mob.

But nonetheless. It borders on the incredible that a man who actively has supported the most serious acts of sabotage against a nation's interest and its security can become foreign minister and thus number two in the government just a few months later.

Or have i completely misinterpreted his role in the airport occupation? The whole thing is so bizarre that i am starting to doubt my own understanding of it.

Or have i completely misinterpreted his role in the airport occupation? The whole thing is so bizarre that i am starting to doubt my own understanding of it.

Back when the airport drama was at its height, one of our more respected current affairs programs, the 7.30 Report, interviewed a very articulate (articulate in English, that is) Thai academic re. the background to the crisis. I came away from that interview thinking 'does anyone really understand Thai politics ?'. I think it comes under the 'TiT' heading, and makes about as much sense as anything else in Bizarro world. Dont do your head in trying to understand it.

Karsit did not play a leading role in the airport seizure. He has been a few times on the stage of the PAD rallies at government house and supports the movement like thousands other too. His comments about the airport seizure being a big party and fun have been taken out of context. He gave a longer interview and wanted to express that the airport occupation had a party atmosphere and there has never been a risk of violence.

Indeed the airport seizure has rather been initiated by the AOT and the powers behind who just used the show up of few dozen unarmed yellow shirts at the airport to close it down in order to put pressure on the Somchai government. Only once the airport has been closed thousands of PAD member gathered there. But instead of looting the place like the reds did at many intersections in Bangkok they left the place in order and even cleaned it up. Thus the airport could reopen within a couple of days instead of 2-3 weeks as the experts estimated. Just imaging of the red mobs would have been thereâ?¦.

I agree that his comments have been very naïve and unwise and he should never have given them but it is nothing compared to the shit coming out of Thaksinâ??s mouth on a daily base.

Archived