Thailand faces years of unrest, say analysts

Mentors

All the European forums I am monitoring now are damn hot too....

Especially since some "taboo people/institution" are involved....

Sorry, can understand and speak Thai a bit but reading it is far more difficult...

(I know this website but reading it like a 5 years old child is a pain in the ass for me...)

Mekong: What is the general opinion on this forum now??

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks.

Do you think the following hypothesis is likely?

The government being comforted in its position plays its cards carefully...(having "secured" their political allies, police, army and international support)

Trying to keep things under a certain control while allowing (for some time) clashes between locals and UDD so as to gather more support from local Thais?

Maybe the rest of the world's economy's are just so fucked up for different reasons that it doesn't really matter? You'd think a more favorable exchange rate would lure back business/industry and tourism...? Err, you'd think, we'd think...Thais?

OH...is spot on...

Thai taxi drivers and others don't realize the world's economy is so fucked up that tourists don't have money....and anyway, by going party with the UDD they will just chase the remaining tourists.

TIT (TLAW -> Thai Logic At Work)

:banghead:

" What is the general opinion on this forum now??"

I know I haven't been asked but my general opinion is that the second most senior minister in the present Thai government committed an act of sabotage by participating in and supporting the airport occupation four months ago not much less serious than the actions done by the red shirts now.

Yes the red shirts are criminal hooligans acting upon the order of Thaksin.

And the ruling urban elite has four months ago tacitly supported equally treacherous acts by the PAD. Now they get exactly what they asked for - and more.

Yes there's hypocrisy, but as my dear old grandmother would say, "2 wrongs don't make a right"...so yes, his position is ironic and hypocritical, but that doesn't justify any element of the red shirts behaviour and neither does it mean a precedent was set, thus making this violence acceptable. Wrong is wrong.

" What is the general opinion on this forum now??"

I know I haven't been asked but my general opinion is that the second most senior minister in the present Thai government committed an act of sabotage by participating in and supporting the airport occupation four months ago not much less serious than the actions done by the red shirts now.

Yes the red shirts are criminal hooligans acting upon the order of Thaksin.

And the ruling urban elite has four months ago tacitly supported equally treacherous acts by the PAD. Now they get exactly what they asked for - and more.

I am with you on this. I am surprised that some here on the board are really chosing either side:

Yellow Shirts: supported by a group of people who want abolish democracy and by taking away the voting rights of the lower class and the poor.

Red Shirts: supported by an oligarch and a group of people who run a populist campaign using the poor as a tool for to abolish democracy by eroding *all* democratic institutions and (more which should not be talked about) under the disguise of a 'peoples democracy'.

And there is no white knight on the horizon.

I only see two short/midterm solutions:

A fragile peace between all parties involved which can be shattered any day and which won't help the country at all or LOS further descending into a civil war...

:(

Archived