Many changes over the past few years!

Frank_Black

This is my first time back in town since 4 years ago and boy, have there been a lot of changes since then. Today, I made the rounds of Siam Square, Central World and the new Paragon. Maybe it's me but I wasn't all that impressed. One thought kept going through my mind, "10 times nothing is still nothing".

The wife and I had lunch at Gaysorn Plaza and couldn't help but notice that most of the high end stores there had zero customers. Now that they've shot themselves in the foot in regards to tourism, I have to wonder how all these new high end stores are going to survive. Personally, I kind of liked the things the way they were 4 years ago better. Seems more like a walk through an American mall than Bangkok, with a lot of businesses I remember no longer in existence. Was surprised to see the Oriental Cafe at ISetan replaced by the Jim Thompson Cafe (no more Oriental ice cream?).

On the other hand, Pantip Plaza is pretty much as I remember it. Not sure if that's good or bad. Always liked Pantip Plaza of circa 2000 best.

I've only been back for a couple days and maybe it's just me but a lot of the charm of the place seems to have warn off a little since in the past few years. Will have to check out the soi dog population on Convent to make sure things haven't changed THAT much.

Archived