United Airlines to charge obese for two seats

tartempion

When I worked at the airport I once checked in a group of 30 WWF wrestlers going to NZ. Most of them weren't fat, just big, and all were pre-seated together in economy. It was obviously going to be uncomfortable, but the flight was full and there was nowhere to move them. I felt sorry for them, thinking they must really be underpaid to be flying coach. Maybe that's why Hulk Hogan wasn't in the group.

The Iron Sheik was being a dick, demanding an upgrade or something. My female co-worker, who must have weighed all of 90 lbs., got fed up with his bullshit and really got in his face. It was one of the funniest things I've ever witnessed.

That is what I was getting at, some people weigh a lot but are not fat. other people may be fat, and take up too much of another person's chair, but their weight isn't off the charts (unless you go height to weight proportion).

Example, I have a friend, he is 6'4" and weighs about 270pounds, lean and mean, not fat. A coworker is about 5' and weights about 170, a total blob...she does take up 2 coach seats. Hence, the combined weight deal would not allow for someone who is just a blob taking up 2 seats.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carbon emissions fuelled by high rates of obesity

High rates of obesity are adding to climate crisis, says a new study

High rates of obesity are adding to climate crisis, says a new study. Photograph: PA

High rates of obesity in richer countries cause up to 1bn extra tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions every year, compared with countries with leaner populations, according to a study that assesses the additional food and fuel requirements of the overweight. The finding is particularly worrying, scientists say, because obesity is on the rise in many rich nations.

"Population fatness has an environmental impact," said Phil Edwards, from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. "We're all being told to stay fit and keep our weight down because it's good for our health. The important thing is that staying slim is good for your health and for the health of the planet."

The study, carried out by Edwards and Ian Roberts, is published today in the International Journal of Epidemiology.

In their model, the researchers compared a population of 1 billion lean people, with weight distributions equivalent to a country such as Vietnam, with 1 billion people from richer countries, such as the US, where about 40% of the population is classified obese.

The fatter population needed 19% more food energy for its energy requirements, they found. They also factored in greater car use by the overweight. "The heavier our bodies become the harder it is to move about in them and the more dependent we become on cars," they wrote.

The greenhouse gas emissions from food production and car travel for the fatter billion people were estimated at between 0.4bn and 1bn extra tonnes a year. That is a significant amount in comparison with the world's total emissions of 27bn tonnes in 2004.

Last September the world's leading authority on climate change suggested the people should eat less meat, because meat production causes 20% of global emissions. Rajendra Pachauri, chairman of the UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, said consumers should begin with one meat-free day a week.

I was in a bar recently and a mildly overweight lady sat on the bar stool next to me and broke it.

It wasn't her fault, it was a typical old school wooden bar stool that just happened to meet its demise at that moment. Lucky she didn't get hurt. She started crying and asked me if I thought she was too fat. Being the gentleman that I am, I reassured her that she was kind of alright, but I should have demanded she buy me a drink for infringing upon my space in the bar.

I don't care one way or another but would like all airlines to adapt it or not adapt it. For some reason, one's "space" on an airline is a touchy subject for some. I've heard people say that they would remove someone's elses luggage from the overhead compartment over their head. I usually point out that there is no wording on any airline's website that entitles someone to the luggage space over their head. Its the same thing with reclining one's seat into the lap of the person behind you. You are never going to win that argument with half the flying public. I'm glad I don't work in any airline's customer service positions.

I agree that we should all try to get along and be respectful, but a large person doesn't have the option of shrinking into a seat, so this one's a no brainer.

I'm reminded of the board member on a Thai flight who's Walkman volume offended the passenger behind him. Apparently, requests to lower the volume fell on deaf ears and when our friend returned from the loo his Walkman was sitting on his seat, smashed.

Being a scouse, he went to the galley, got a six pack of coke and poured them, one by one, over the perps head, as the guy's wife watched in horror.

Our friend was arrested upon arrival at Don Muang, but his explanation that the perp had been spouting disparaging comments about the Royal Family got him quickly released.

Archived