United Airlines to charge obese for two seats

tartempion

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other airlines already do this, and they won in court when challenged. Southwest I think was the first to do so, wasn't even a policy, the decision was made on the spot.

I'm by no means a small person, but I have had the displeasure of having even fatter people sit next to me, spilling into "my space."

The problem with the "total combined weight" idea is some people are just plain big, not fat, just tall, and muscular...so if you are going after obese people here, it could get hairy. It would also add tons of time to the already too long check in procedure.

I can foresee the lawsuits coming with this one. I hope UA had some very good lawyers to consult before coming out with this. The class action suits will be huge, pun intended. A few good lawyers will tear this one up I feel. I can hear them licking their chops now, they are hungry for it. ;)

Southwest has been doing this for years. The POS buys 2 tickets and if the plane is less than 100% load factor gets a refund for 1 ticket.

When I worked at the airport I once checked in a group of 30 WWF wrestlers going to NZ. Most of them weren't fat, just big, and all were pre-seated together in economy. It was obviously going to be uncomfortable, but the flight was full and there was nowhere to move them. I felt sorry for them, thinking they must really be underpaid to be flying coach. Maybe that's why Hulk Hogan wasn't in the group.

The Iron Sheik was being a dick, demanding an upgrade or something. My female co-worker, who must have weighed all of 90 lbs., got fed up with his bullshit and really got in his face. It was one of the funniest things I've ever witnessed.

I can foresee the lawsuits coming with this one. I hope UA had some very good lawyers to consult before coming out with this. The class action suits will be huge, pun intended. A few good lawyers will tear this one up I feel. I can hear them licking their chops now, they are hungry for it. ;)

I foresee lawsuits as well...especially in the sue-happy USA. But when you think about it, it really does make sense: I paid for my seat, and I have the right to be the only one occupying that seat. If someone needs (or wants) to occupy MORE than one seat, they should be made to pay for it.

So if the fatty pays for two seats can someone he nominates travel in what's left of the second for free? Like his skinny Thai Mrs?

Seeing those couples at the domestic terminal while traveling with my family was one of my first impressions of Thailand, and not a positive one (one guy was being abusive to his wife). I also might have had a pre-conceived notion that old fat guys shouldn't be with young, slight and attractive ladies, but I quickly got over it.

Archived